Blots - Fun Reflected

Kartika

I am a newbie javascript/html5 programmer . Please check out my game called BLOTS. Its inspired from the ink blot figures children make by usng ink and folding the paper in half.

Would love feedback and suggestions as its my first effort. Currently it has only 6 levels and is very simplistic in design, but I didn't come across anything similar in my research.

Game available @ http://blotsgame.comeze.com/

post-6078-0-57430100-1388905313.png

post-6078-0-39483800-1388905321.png

I think this has the potential to be a lot of fun - and can see how it could potentially be expanded to different types of symmetry and other challenges using the same mechanism for later levels.

I found the time limit to be EXTREMELY punishing though! - I couldn't even complete the 2nd level after a few attempts!

also, having the ablity to click+drag to draw several dots together (rather than single click for each dot) would probably make it easier to draw things and be more enjoyable to play

For me it was easy; played through on first attempt with averaged 4 secs left on each level. I think the difficulty is totally based on the individual strategy how you place the pixels. And yes, not being able to click+drag really slows you down; if it were implemented I'd have needed only a third the time. The fun thing in this game is to see how simple known sprites from old games are made and seeing them appear on the screen. Wouldn't have made more than 10 levels though (mostly because clicking so often was annoying).

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your comments and for trying out the game. I am working on making the time alloted more person based, drawn from how they perform in the current level, but I am not sure what formula to use. Currently the time allocated is 1/2 a second for each pixel + 2 secs to adjust your eye. Personally I have played through the levels but then it may be due to practise.

Click and drag has been in the todo list but i'll probably need some pointers on how to implement it :-( . ( newbie i know )

Kartika

Click and drag has been in the todo list but i'll probably need some pointers on how to implement it :-( . ( newbie i know )

When mouse is pressed, set a variable dragStarted = true; or similar

When mousing over new squares, check if(dragStarted) { changeSquare(); }

When mouse is released dragStarted = false;

Something along those lines could work maybe?

Implemented click and drag and also added another level ( the question mark ) which i found interesting as it tests estimation ability as well as mental rotation.

click and drag is only partly useful. sometimes it selects unwanted squares. Not sure if its because of my implementation.