This forum will be closing down. Please move to the respective dedicated project forums.

Sprite sheet animation vs loadTexture

Drewrg

Hello everybody.
I am trying to optimize my game, and would like to know, which of this two Phaser techniques would be  more optimal in term of resource usage.

On one side I got SpriteSheet -  'atlasJSONHash'.

// preload

game.load.atlasJSONHash('image', 'assets/image.png');

// create

var foo = game.add.sprite(0, 0, 'image');
    foo.animation.add('main');
    foo.animation.play('main', 30, true);

On other side I got just a sprite with a texture, and I'm changing  it's texture in the Phaser render function, with another preloaded texture.

// preload

var textureArray = [];
    textureArray.push(game.load.image('image0', 'assets/image0.png') );
    textureArray.push(game.load.image('image1', 'assets/image1.png') );
    textureArray.push(game.load.image('image2', 'assets/image2.png') );
    // and so on, 'in the game this is done by a loop'.

// create

var i = 0;
var foo = game.add.sprite(0, 0, 'image0');

// render

foo.loadTexture('image' + i);
i++;

In both cases there are same images [img0, img1, img2, ...], but in first example they are combined into a spritesheet, and in other they are separately loaded as a png images.

I would like to know, which would you recommend, again in terms of resource consumption.

Thank you in advance.

I had "similar" question recently and yes using spritesheets is best of course (as you probably know all games of any kind use that) but then there is a question spriteSheet vs spriteAtlas 

I asked here http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/9588-texture-atlas-better-than-spritesheets-performancewise/ and there is one good source of info.. after some concepts I managed to get just two calls to graphic card (even when using more than 1 spriteAtlas with many images inside of them) and game is much faster in terms of what GPU has to deal with

read more here https://phaser.io/tutorials/advanced-rendering-tutorial/part2