Light box (game about jumping box that has to get energy or die)

adeptnix

This is my first game after a two years break in gamedev.

gameplay.png.768c52f422977e3f698ee32a19920d9f.png

http://tinycode.ru/games/lightboxgame/

Basically you have to jump to platforms for growing your size (and energy in that case). Each jump take a bit of size of the box (part of energy). If you will get too small, you will die.

Source code - https://bitbucket.org/grigoriytretyakov/lightbox-game

Holy crud, that is hard. I don't think I ever lasted more than twenty seconds, usually just two or three. But I played it about thirty times. It's fun though!

Some suggestions:

- Leave the score on the screen when you prompt the player to play again. Otherwise they have no idea what their score was unless they catch it in the half-second it's on the screen.

- You don't need the ruler on the left. There's no time to look over there to read numbers to see how high you are. If you want an altitude indicator, maybe use the whole background as a parallax abstract landscape or something.

- The red bullets add an extra cruel random death. I think the game is hard enough without that unpredictability. Maybe add them later in the game?

- I think it would be more fun if the platforms had friction, enough for the player to come to a stop on them if they get a lucky landing.

Fun, and hard game.

I agreed with aaryte's suggestions

I died a couple of times, because I didn't know how to jump. I assumed, I should press space, because the menu asks me to press it to continue. I would like the space bar to be binded to jump. Also for a while I didn't realize I can move left.

I would like to be informed about the input keys before playing. For example an image of the cursor keys would be enough in the menu.

Thanks for testing!

I agreed, this is the hard game and it has lack of good manual. And I'm going to fix it later.

• bind space for jump
  • add notes about moves to left and to right on start screen
  • add background with parallax
  • show scores on the screen of death
  • and may be offer to gamer level of difficulty (normal | hard)

For now I will save this tasks in TODO file.

But now I want to finish my two-years-old prototype with a guy on picture below.

html5sparklingtail.png.7ab998b6a1def37e5296ae11115f0d7d.png