[Phaser 3] "Snot Kid" Hilarious High-Score Game

jamespierce

Snot Kid HTML5 Game

HTML5 Game Link: Snot Kid

EDIT: The game is now also available on the Google PlayStore: Snot Kid Android App

Snot Kid Android App

Hello everyone! I am super excited to share this game with you and I hope you give it a try and let me know what you think. You can also play it on your mobile phone :) Below is a descriptive overview of the game with more details.

Summary:

The game is a high-score game with increasing difficulty, with many achievements to unlock and a online leaderboard!

What is it about?

Throw the kid's snot at the insects and stop them from entering through the window crack. If you hit enough insects you can even charge up a powerful burp to scare the insects away!

Controls:

Click / tap anywhere on the screen to shoot snot at the crawling insects. Stop the insects from entering through the window crack!

Main Features:

• Funny and beautiful drawings
  • Many achievements to unlock
  • Global leaderboard to compete for the highest scores
  • Easy controls
  • Mobile optimized

HTML5 Game Link: Snot Kid

Google PlayStore Link: Snot Kid

(Is there a way to add the YouTube video in a smaller size?)

Hey James! I played your game a few times, and I definitely enjoyed it! I finally made it to the leaderboard, but, if you don't mind, I would like to add some pointers for your game.

1. When the player loses, allow the player to click a "submit" button and optionally showcase the leaderboard. When I would lose, I would get confused after typing my name... "Did it submit my score?"... "Where is my slot on the leaderboard?". After a few games, I did find the leaderboard on the menu panel.
  2. I don't really see a point in the "special" ability. After you kill a few insects and the bar fills up, you can 'blast' the snot to kill all the enemies on stage; however, I find it more beneficial to just spam the snot.

Regardless, great job with it! I look forward to viewing future games from you!

Hi Thomas thank you so much for playing and sharing your feedback!

10 hours ago, ThomasTaylor said:

Hey James! I played your game a few times, and I definitely enjoyed it! I finally made it to the leaderboard, but, if you don't mind, I would like to add some pointers for your game.

1. When the player loses, allow the player to click a "submit" button and optionally showcase the leaderboard. When I would lose, I would get confused after typing my name... "Did it submit my score?"... "Where is my slot on the leaderboard?". After a few games, I did find the leaderboard on the menu panel.
  2. I don't really see a point in the "special" ability. After you kill a few insects and the bar fills up, you can 'blast' the snot to kill all the enemies on stage; however, I find it more beneficial to just spam the snot.

1. You raise some good points here. I originally didn't want to clutter the box where you submit the name so I kept it to the bare minimum. But maybe a follow-up box informing the player about his rank would make sense then.

2. The point of his power-ability is that sometimes you find that one insect where you miss everything. It serves as a panic button that you can save for the right moment. Especially for a really high score, as the game gets more difficult, the ability can make a huge difference if used right. However, if you prefer focusing on throwing the snot and ignoring the ability, that's totally fine too I would say!

10 hours ago, ThomasTaylor said:

Regardless, great job with it! I look forward to viewing future games from you!

Thank you! If you are interested, I have more Phaser games on my website http://browsergameshub.com :) I also run a Dev Blog there where I try to share news and my thoughts on some dev-related topics.

I've managed to turn this game into a native Android app and publish it in the Google PlayStore! I've also added ads using AdMob who are triggered after every 3rd Game Over screen. I might write a summary about this experience on my Dev Blog if I find a good way to structure the whole process - it required quite a few steps and not all were directly connected.

At the very least, I feel like I should check my browser history and provide a collection of all the external sources that helped me through the process. I think a lot would benefit from it? Let me know if that's something useful!

Anyways, here is the link. If you have an Android device, give it a try :D Snot Kid Android App

Snot Kid Android App

On 8/24/2018 at 3:17 PM, jamespierce said:

At the very least, I feel like I should check my browser history and provide a collection of all the external sources that helped me through the process.

As promised, here is my blog post about How to Convert Your HTML5 Game into an Android App with Cordova! It basically mirrors what I learned while creating the Snot Kid Android Game and goes over all the questions that popped up for me personally while I followed the Cordova documentation.

I hope it will help some of you!