Fallgate – A tiny 2D adventure game

mbforbes

Hi all!

My friend Cooper and I just finished our small hobby project game called Fallgate. It's a small 2D adventure game written in TypeScript using pixi.js for rendering. We would love it if you played it!

https://mbforbes.github.io/fallgate

(works in Chrome on desktop / laptop only)

I also wanted to send a belated thank you to members of this forum, because I ended up here countless times when I googled about things that I was confused about in pixi.js.

Please enjoy!

- Max

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 12.10.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 12.11.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 12.13.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 12.15.02 PM.png

1) Going pretty well on both Chrome and Firefox (1280-720)

2)My left hand on the left side of the keyboard for AWDS control, my right hand on the mouse for aiming....So I have every time to leave a mouse only for a click "ENTER" button, maybe it's just me but this fact is little bit annoying.

Thank you for the replies!

@Nagval333, that's a great point, the end-of-level would be nicer with spacebar! We wanted people to have to read the tutorials and not (perhaps accidentally) skip through them, which is why we chose enter for that one. Will definitely consider changing end-of-level to spacebar!

@jalex I'm sorry to hear! ?  On my laptop I can't have a lot else open for it to run well (particularly nothing else stressing the GPU, even Tiled or Logic). Might not work on older comps ?

@khleug35 Many thanks!

FYI just pushed experimental gamepad support if you happen to have a PS4 controller etc. lying around. (The controls won't be shown on screen so not for the faint of heart.)

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings! Play tested using Chrome, then Firefox on MacOS Mojave (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB)

Nice Game! I really enjoyed the gameplay and presentation with transitions and sound.

That being said, you have a bit of a performance issue that you'll want to debug. The game played perfectly smooth except for level 9 and 12 (last level I could play before it became unplayable in Chrome from freezing every 10-15 seconds) and the Mac I'm playing on can handle Skyrim running with Wineskin and Civ6 without any problem at all, so it's not due to machine specs. Also, as you can see from the forum, I've been play testing a TON of games, so I can guarantee that it's a code performance issue and not this machine.

To be thorough, I retested it with Firefox, and it had the same freeze problems on levels 9 and 12, but it wasn't nearly as severe and I was able to play through level 12 and get to 13.

But I must say, I really enjoyed testing Fallgate; few games are put together well enough for me to play test twice. It's got style and personality, and I can tell that you've gone out of your way to add little touches other HTML5 games skimp out on. It's definitely worth it to put a bit of debugging time into it.

Looking forward to seeing how it evolves. Good Luck! 

Nice really smooth presentation, great job.

I didn't play long enough to experience any perf issues.

Personally, I hated the control style ?I seem to be the only one! I found it really weird that mouse controls look/aim but WASD is look independent. Maybe one for an eventual settings screen to support W meaning 'always move in direction of facing', S, backward, A/D strafe. It's definitely connected to the mouse look thing (even though its top-down and not 1st person) for me, other games like this without mouse look and I don't have any odd feeling with WADS meaning North/South/West/East rather than Forward/Back/Left/Right.

Something else, and this would depend on your target market most I guess, I didn't like the tutorial style, I think you could have expressed the core concept with the exact same level-style reveal, but just progress a story, rather than a series of instructionals. It's like you're saying too much. 

The brambles, for example, they look spiky, people will probably guess they shouldn't touch them, but, let the player explore, let the player touch them, but give them a way to recover health afterwards, in subsequent levels you expect the player to have learnt and don't give them the health recovery to increase challenge later. Reward them for exploring rather than missing this opportunity and just telling them 'dont touch this'. Nintendo are masters of this and they've made some pretty good games in their time.