pxzin

Tips on isometric games with PixiJS

Hi people, 

I'm about to start a personal project and I'm thinking to go with pixijs. Is about a city builder isometric-game. I would like to know if anyone have any tips, suggestions or can point me directions of the problems I may find ahead.

Several years ago, I did a lil project with PixiJS for my graduation and I remember have a good time with it. But couple years before I had a real pain trying to come up with a isometric game in Construct 2, so I'm quite afraid of follow up with this genre.  

Any advice will help, since I'm starting blank.
Thank you all.

Hello!

There's one small isometry demo:

https://pixijs.io/examples/#/plugin-projection/iso-basic.js

However that's not how I usually do isometry. Usually I just use Y scaled by 0.5. You even don't need those "x+z" "x-z" coordinates, if you want to make tiles - take whole two-dimensional array and remove "odd" cells. Like, use only "black" cells of chess board. Then the only problem is to detect which tile is under mouse, but then it will be the only place where you have a isometry math. Everything else is just "x=x'; y = y' / 2"

I have many things to tell about isometry: how to sort elements, how to make walls on tiles and intersect/sort them too, but I want to sleep. Try to do something, then I'll give you more info.

and Welcome to the forums!

Edited by ivan.popelyshev

5 minutes ago, ivan.popelyshev said:

I have many things to tell about isometry: how to sort elements, how to make walls on tiles and intersect/sort them too, but I want to sleep. Try to do something, then I'll give you more info.

I'll sure like to talk about that in the future!! 

Ok, so I'll start to try it and came back when I get something to show. 

Thank you very much.