The future of online browser games

Frivmax

Y8, Friv, Kizi is one of the largest flash game libraries. With classics such as, familyfarm Clear Vision, Age of War and Fancy Pants, AG has been around for a long time. Flash is an integral part of early internet culture. That being said, what will happen to sites like AG after Google Chrome and other major browsers, completely stopping flashing in 2020?

How do we intend to survive the inevitable Flash Doomsday event in 2020?

000.jpg

Perhaps the "end" of Flash will be similar to the "end" of Silverlight or Shockwave?  For example, we can still install the last plugins / players if desired, they may not work especially well, or provide much modern-day utility, but for the committed die-hard it's never the "end".  And there's always offline / exe / app wrapping for content providers to continue to share their content independent of browsers.

Perhaps, if consumer demand warrants it, then a simpler, "HTML5 way", of playing SWF content in modern browsers may emerge (although likely won't solve many inherent usability problems).

Perhaps, it'll really be the End, and nobody will mention Flash again, they will never seek to run a SWF or view a massive part of internet legacy.  Blip, gone, erased.

But however it plays out in 2020 and beyond the time to place commercial bets on such things was 10 years ago ... anyone with content that is predominantly SWF today has been napping.

• 1 month later...

What about Ruffle? the plug in for your site so you can still running flash, no need for the player to download a plug in because the site has the plug in installed for the players to watch the content, also seems to fix some flash plug in issues. Newgrounds is using it.

Edited by Dr Popet

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Come on at this point we all gotta agree that browser game is going to be burried soon. The last time I play a browser was... 7 years ago lol. The only game that seems to be immortal is minecraft...? Btw speaking of Minecraft does anyone wanna join me in my minecraft prison servers? I just managed to dig up an entire list of new servers and I'm testing all of them out but only one at once. Playing solo can get a bit dull, that's why I'm getting more people to join in. If you are looking for some new fun then I guess these are the right servers for you

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...