AAA Games on the Desktop Web with WebGL?

renaun

Cube 2!!!  I didn't know that existed.  I've spent countless hours playing the original because it was the only FPS we could find with online multiplayer that worked on dialup.

I doubt we'll see much in the way of "AAA" games made with HTML5 until the big companies figure out a way to monetize them better.  Turbulenz gets by because of their heavy push on the social aspect of things, but it's not very easy to scrape by on ad revenue without massive amounts of traffic.  I don't think we'll see million dollar budget games in any browser until we see some big shift in how browser games are monetized.

Cube 2!!!  I didn't know that existed.  I've spent countless hours playing the original because it was the only FPS we could find with online multiplayer that worked on dialup.

I doubt we'll see much in the way of "AAA" games made with HTML5 until the big companies figure out a way to monetize them better.  Turbulenz gets by because of their heavy push on the social aspect of things, but it's not very easy to scrape by on ad revenue without massive amounts of traffic.  I don't think we'll see million dollar budget games in any browser until we see some big shift in how browser games are monetized.

Like the new version of RuneScape you mean? :)

Unfortunately many larger projects which gets attention and are still "just" Emscripted. Sure, there is nothing wrong about it (~ especially if you got classics like Dune) - but I'am often afraid that they could misslead people, which raise up their expectations too much  :unsure: 

Hopefully with the rise of 3D wrapper/engines like voxel.js and (accessible) mobile WebGL support, more companies & devs will take browser based games seriously. The *improving* browser support at gaming consoles already allows to guess what could be possible in a few years  :)

Thanks for the game links, thats the stuff I was looking for.

As for Emscripten, I would say for the short term larger 3D title games on the web ,regardless of what tech, will be using some kind of C/C++ to web technology. The main driver is the fact that studios have big database of old games that fit well to the openGL ES 2.0 constraints of the current web 3D abilities. I also agree on the monitization current landscape in keeping some larger 3D projects at bay.

I love how most of the games have glitches (screen flickering, mouse controls off) for me on Firefox 19 on a MacBook Pro. Do most of you guys use Chrome to test 3D games?