Can you change audio pitch at runtime?

neoRiley

well, just to answer this so no one comes here thinking I abandoned this - I abandoned this idea ;)

When I found out that IE doesn't support webaudio, it made it pointless.

So, my solution was to take 2 different car engine sounds - one idle, the other rev'd up and I cross fade them together by setting their volumes to the speed of the car.  A slower speed means the idle sound is louder, and when as you accelerate, the rev'd sound becomes louder

Anyway, hope that helps someone else

• 4 months later...

(resurrecting an old thread)

Seems like it would be neat to be able to programmatically alter pitch/playing speed.

Even though it seems IE and Android doesnt support WebAudio, has anyone got this working in Phaser?

I read WebAudio supports it, but wasnt able to get it to work in Phaser.

http://updates.html5rocks.com/2012/01/Web-Audio-FAQ

Q: How can I change the pitch of a sound using the Web Audio API?

A: Change the playbackRate on the source node.

I tried this, but to no effect:

//mySound = a Phaser.Sound objectvar pbr =  { value: 2, defaultValue: 2};this.mySound._sound.playbackRate = pbr;this.mySound.play();

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is like the first thing that comes up on google for how to change pitch.  The last comment doesn't quite do it.  After some playing around, I found that I actually had to play the sound before altering it immediately after:

this.mySound.play();
this.mySound._sound.playbackRate.value = 1.2;

This worked for me

• 1 year later...
On 6/13/2016 at 10:43 PM, ritherz said:

This is like the first thing that comes up on google for how to change pitch.  The last comment doesn't quite do it.  After some playing around, I found that I actually had to play the sound before altering it immediately after:

this.mySound.play();
this.mySound._sound.playbackRate.value = 1.2;

This worked for me

This works great, but not on iOS. Anyone know how to change the pitch on iOS devices?

Thanks.