[WIP] gorescript - Retro FPS

timeinvariant

Update: pre-alpha version now playable at: http://timeinvariant.com/gorescript/play

A few things to note:

• Works best on Chrome 34+; Firefox is supported but currently has performance issues; IE/Safari not supported due to missing pointer lock API
  • This is not intended for mobile devices
  • A minimum resolution of 1024x768 is required to play

Have fun!

Hi,

I'd like to show you the new three.js-powered FPS I'm working on. It's heavily influenced by '90s shooters (read: Doom clone), and features an abstract art style, blending 2.5D levels with Minecraft-like voxel models for enemies, weapons and power-ups.

post-8900-0-68745400-1401264884.jpgpost-8900-0-53540600-1401264891.jpg

It's not released yet (currently going by Blizzard's soon model), however you can find more screenshots at http://imgur.com/gallery/GEfNn.

Official site: http://timeinvariant.com/gorescript

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy!

I will also present a game very soon which is still in a very early development state, but I think you can't start collecting feedback from others early enough to make sure the game is going into the right direction. If your're not comfortable with showing it right now fine, your decision, but don't expect more feedback than "Looks cool!"  ;) .

timeinvariance, Game looks nice.

Menus look great.
Filters look good.

Models look good (I like the Cacodemon/Pacman looking monsters).

I got about 15 fps in Iceweasel/Firefox on Linux on my desktop (2fps on my laptop)
But in Chromium on my desktop in Linux I was getting 50fps to 60fps.

Then I tried the game I've been working in Chromium, and it ran so much better that the timing of stuff was off and now I'm working on fixing that :)

I really like the style of your game.  At first it was really hard, but then I found the shotgun and things got easier :)

I can't wait to see more of these as you make it.

Thank you. :)

I find that SSAO and bloom are the biggest culprits, performance-wise. I have this half-size rendering feature, it renders at a smaller resolution than the current window size and then stretches the canvas by CSS to fit the whole screen. It makes the image more blurry, but helps with performance quite a bit.