Dragon Plunder

city41

EeACJS3.png

This is my February 1GAM game, it's about 75-80% done.

My friend is doing the sound, I'm doing everything else. We are considering expanding it into a full fledged game, and finding a better artist if we do.

Check it out here: http://cityfortyone-mattgreer.dotcloud.com/dragonPlunder/

It's also on indiedb: http://www.indiedb.com/games/dragon-plunder

One of the coolest games I've played for a while. Still haven't cleared it (I'm working on it), but I really love it.

I have a few suggestions though:

- it is unplayable (litterally) on Firefox. Framerate drops to ~5fps as soon as rocks start falling. I think you really should have a look at the optimization

- couldn't go past the first checkpoint on level 2. Once I climb on top of the dragon, I get the checkpoint, and then the platforms are way too high

Looking forward to the final product ;)

One of the coolest games I've played for a while. Still haven't cleared it (I'm working on it), but I really love it.

Damn, thanks! :)

As for Firefox, that's interesting. I've been testing on my ancient MacBook (it's circa 2006 or so) and it's running great for me in Firefox. What OS are you using? I will definitely look into that. I will fire up Windows on that MacBook too, I've been sticking with OSX mostly.

In the build that is up right now, there is an issue that lower framerate causes him to not jump as high. I've got that fixed locally. But I'm very surprised you're getting framerate that low :-/

AGHHH so frustrating after that 2nd checkpoint. awesome work on the background. Very minimal but the background looks great and really clicks.

Very cool game. If i had one piece of constructive criticism it would be to adjust the sound levels especially for the respawning sound and the death screams. They were a tad loud. 

ps: i recognize that Impact loading bar. That's my preferred engine/library at the moment too.

pps: worked great in FF for me. FF 19.0, macbook pro.

Thanks for checking it out everyone!

AGHHH so frustrating after that 2nd checkpoint.

Most people have suggested the first level is too hard. I totally redid it and it's a good deal easier now. I do plan to make this a hard game though (like Super Meat Boy hard, hopefully). But I'm hoping to not kick the difficulty in until level two, where I introduce spikes and fire geysers :)

I will definitely be tweaking the sound levels, and yup this is Impact. Impact rocks!

I am hoping to have the alpha build of the game up on Thursday evening, just in time for OneGameAMonth.

- it is unplayable (litterally) on Firefox. Framerate drops to ~5fps as soon as rocks start falling. 

Ah ha, I have figured out what this was and fixed it. Turns out Firefox does not like you saving the canvas context a lot, which is what I was doing to create the screen shake effect. I found a better way to do that, and it should now run very well in Firefox. Thanks for pointing this out.

I just uploaded a new build with a different first level, and a bazillion bug fixes and lots of polish. 

http://cityfortyone-mattgreer.dotcloud.com/dragonPlunder/

• 3 weeks later...