Rotation optimization

bokan

I just reviewed the code of Pixi.js and I think there's a point that deserve attention.

It is much faster to handle an object when it is not rotated/skewed. Its transform matrix is much simpler (doesn't require matrix at all) and lot of computation could be removed. Bounds computing is also much simpler.

I wonder if it's not worth implementing an optimization for this. It won't change the API at all, it will add very few code. Just a check for each objects, and saves a lot of code for non rotated objects.

I would like to know what people think about that. Do you use rotation on most of your objects or only few of them ?

Sounds like a preoptimization that isn't really needed (at least not for general rendering cases).

PIXI.SpriteBatch._renderCanvas() seems to do what Bokan described already* was this premature optimisation?  ;)

*atleast when child.rotation % (Math.PI * 2) === 0, I mean shouldn't that check if the modulus value is between negative some epsilon value and plus that epsilon value**?

**I'm guessing that epsilon value could be fairly large, like maybe 0.00025 ( asin(1/4000) ) assuming you want to cover imperceptible rotation

hey peeps!

As it happens I have been working on the update transform function this wknd :)

You can see it here: https://github.com/GoodBoyDigital/pixi.js/tree/dev-filters

I was rewriting it for a few other reasons but added the suggested optimization to the function too. Not sure how much extra speed it will bring but it certainly wont be slowing it down :)

PIXI.SpriteBatch._renderCanvas() seems to do what Bokan described already* was this premature optimisation?  ;)

*atleast when child.rotation % (Math.PI * 2) === 0, I mean shouldn't that check if the modulus value is between negative some epsilon value and plus that epsilon value**?

**I'm guessing that epsilon value could be fairly large, like maybe 0.00025 ( asin(1/4000) ) assuming you want to cover imperceptible rotation

Yes, the whole point of SpriteBatch was to do every optimization so it makes sense there.

Good spot chg !

xerver : All optimizations are good to take when we claim being the fastest ! :)

I disagree with that, most optimizations come at a developer cost (maintainability, readability, etc). We make the choice to use optimizations not so we can yell about numbers, but so the library gets faster. If we reduce the core loop from 2ms to 1ms at the cost of convoluted code, then that isn't worth it to me.