Steam OS announced

sandy234

Steam OS will run on steambox. Which will be priced atleast 300$, but i think it would be well more than 500+.

People would rather buy xbox or ps4 instead of it..

Other thing is it will make your current library of games useless. Your past games wont work on steam os, so to play those game you need to stream it from a pc which is again pointless bec you need pc to play your past games.

So if you have a library of 200+ games on steam like most do that would be rendered useless if you choose steamOS.

No directx on steam os.

I dont know if it will crub piracy.

This all have making of massive failure

No directx on steam os.

So what? Mac/Linux don't have DirectX, and still, they can render the same thing as Windows.

There are probably arguments to say that it's going to fail, but I don't see any mentioned on the topic...

I think it could work, if they do bring something new.

Other thing is it will make your current library of games useless. Your past games wont work on steam os, so to play those game you need to stream it from a pc which is again pointless bec you need pc to play your past games.

How many consoles have been released which couldn't play previous generation games? (answer: most of them). Hell isn't Xbone the same?!

Didn't stop them being bought though, because most consumers look to what games are coming out for a platform, not what existed previously.

Also, never ever under-estimate Valve's ability to get developers on-board with something like this. I bet there are already hundreds of them doing so.

Steam OS will run on steambox. Which will be priced atleast 300$, but i think it would be well more than 500+.

Steam OS is free and available separate from steambox. If you don't want to buy a console but still want to play games on your tv, you can get steamos.

Other thing is it will make your current library of games useless. Your past games wont work on steam os, so to play those game you need to stream it from a pc

Not your entire library will be incompatible, there are many games on steam that work on linux. So I assume those games will work on steam OS. Anyways, I'm sure steam will be pushing lots of developers to port their games onto steam OS, eventually the library of games will be closer to the PC library.

Actually, buying an xbox one or ps4 will make your current library of games useless. How many of your current games will you be able to play on a next-gen console? The answer is none. At least steam OS will allow you to stream PC games.

Console gamers are different they play game for few months then move on to next iteration.

In Pc you can still find ppl playing cod4, CS, Diablo2 etc.

Also porting old games to steamOS wont be easy and i doubt developers would even bother with old games.

I probably think old linux games wont run on steamos bec if they did valve would have already mentioned it.

Also eventhough Steamos is linux based it would be different bec its a gaming oriented OS and they would have designed it differently to make games run40-50% faster.

Console gamers are different they play game for few months then move on to next iteration.

This isn't always true. There are many communities still active on large games. 

Also porting old games to steamOS wont be easy and i doubt developers would even bother with old games.

I probably think old linux games wont run on steamos bec if they did valve would have already mentioned it.

All of the games which currently run on linux will run on the new OS. Valve haven't announced everything yet which is why they're probably not making a big deal out of it.

Also eventhough Steamos is linux based it would be different bec its a gaming oriented OS and they would have designed it differently to make games run40-50% faster.

I don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying improvements to the OS will improve performance but break compatibility? Where are you getting this from?

Overall, the steam OS is interesting, but it won't be a big deal right at the start. It'll be a while before games are ported and developed with Linux support so the library will be small. Valve likely won't market it heavily so the install base will be small. Their aim should be to start porting plenty of games over and making the OS very functional in an open beta style. Once this is done, they can market it very heavily and begin trying to sell large numbers of them.

Sondar

Think of how many millions of Steam gamers there are. Now give them a cheap little box to shove under their TV that plays brand new games, as well as stream games from their existing library. Think of the incredible direct market Steam have to their customers and the massive number of developers they partner with already.

Quite frankly it's going to be nearly impossible for this to fail.

little box cant be cheap. Even ps4 and xbox1 will be sold at a loss initially.

unless box wont have a graphics card (which is a very good possibility) it cant be less than 300$.

At 300$ it is directly competing with other consoles.

Already lots of developers dont release game for pc bec of rampant piracy so that always a issue.

Also i have already mentioned your exisitng library will be useless on steamOS

Steam OS is different from linux os. Its based on linux but its not exactly linux.

So exisiting games might not work.

Valve controls a publishers exposure to his audience. That's THE resource publishers crave.

I have been told that the reason why devs port toLinux right now (the additional sold linux units seldomly pay for the cost of the port) is because valve put's them on the steamstore frontpage once in a while under "Play on Windows and Linux" - which increases win sales by a large margin.

If valve will now feature SteamOS Games primarily on their site they have all the persuasive power they need. 

But, still an uphill battle.

well valve already had enough resources to make something really successful or just toying around with some ideas just for fun~

and as mentioned above their steam portal is already the top notch of online game distribution, even if your game gets promoted with -75% you getting tons of money, not to imagine what will happen if you get your crossplatform game promoted cause it also runs on steamOS

It's a linux distro and it will be freely available. The won't be a single steambox controlled by valve, even though they may manufacture one either for sale or as a reference implementation. You could buy some mini-itx board and build your own. Read the section titled "Cooperating System" 

So if you have a library of 200+ games on steam like most do that would be rendered useless if you choose steamOS.

Well as rich said, most consoles weren't backwards compatible. This still allows you to use your old PC to stream your games to you steambox. Steam could also whitelist the games that run flawlessly on wine and allow you to run those directly on SteamOS. 

No directx on steam os

That's true, but there is opengl. Valve got L4D2 running 20% faster on linux than on windows and they didn't code the whole thing again using openGL, they used runtime d3d->gl translation

Windows is far from the best platform for gaming, but it has a lot of market share and lots of money is spent on making games work in spite of the OS, but someone has to take the risk and try something new from time to time, or else this forum would be called "ie5+flashgamedevs.com"

Also i have already mentioned your exisitng library will be useless on steamOS

Steam OS is different from linux os. Its based on linux but its not exactly linux.

So exisiting games might not work.

See, I don't know where you are getting this. How do you know that their OS is going to be so different that all existing games won't work?

As far as I know, we don't have any information about their OS yet. You are just making assumptions about everything.

And why would they change it so much that existing games stop working? That would be incredibly stupid. They would be releasing an OS without ANY games.

They have already ported all of their games to linux, it makes sense that they would ensure their OS can run their ports, otherwise what was the point of porting?

See, I don't know where you are getting this. How do you know that their OS is going to be so different that all existing games won't work?

As far as I know, we don't have any information about their OS yet. You are just making assumptions about everything.

And why would they change it so much that existing games stop working? That would be incredibly stupid. They would be releasing an OS without ANY games.

They have already ported all of their games to linux, it makes sense that they would ensure their OS can run their ports, otherwise what was the point of porting?

How is the current games gona work if they were made for windows. This is no assumptions dude just common sense.

Not all games are on linux, almost 80% games aint on it.

Steam machine announced

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

Prices of these machines have not be announced nor are the specs. Also hardware and price are not standard and is gona wary.

They claim hundreds of game are already running on steamos natively. This must be those linux games. Some 300 games are on linux as of now.

Apparently some 3000 games are gona be beta tested to see if they can be ran on steamos.