Glitch is releasing 10000+ game assets to the public domain

Chris

The collaborative, web-based, massively multiplayer game Glitch began its initial private testing in 2009, opened to the public in 2010, and was shut down in 2012. It was played by more than 150,000 people and was widely hailed for its original and highly creative visual style.

The entire library of art assets from the game, has been made freely available, dedicated to the public domain. Code from the game client is included to help developers work with the assets. All of it can be downloaded and used by anyone, for any purpose. (But: use it for good.)

Tiny Speck, Inc., the game’s developer, has relinquished its ownership of copyright over these 10,000+ assets in the hopes that they help others in their creative endeavours and build on Glitch’s legacy of simple fun, creativity and an appreciation for the preposterous. Go and make beautiful things.

http://www.glitchthegame.com/public-domain-game-art/

If you follow the 'Encyclopedia' link from the Glitch home page, the assets are there as well, and much more organized including animated gifs to preview some of the assets.  Not sure if it includes everything in the zip files, but it is definitely worth a look.

I downloaded the sprite sheet for a talking crab (http://c2.glitch.bz/items/2012-12-06/npc_crab__x1_talk_png_1354831203.png).  The frame dimensions and number of frames is in the encyclopedia (58 crabs of size 131 X 129).  I just tested it by adding it to my local copy of the Phaser examples and it looks perfect and very cute!  I'm very excited about the prospect of using some of these assets in a game!

I was also able to use the 'Extract Sprites' feature of ShoeBox to extract the individual sprites from the spritesheet, so that could be an option if anyone wants to reduce the number of frames or otherwise customize the sprite.