Should Phaser Examples move to its own repo?

rich

I've been wondering about creating a new repo specifically for the Phaser Examples, and moving them all to it. I can think of a few pros and cons:

Pros

1) I can update the Examples repo as often as I like without it looking like a new Phaser release.

2) The overall size of the Phaser repo would dramatically reduce, making versions easier to manage.

3) I can add more media into the Examples assets without worrying about repo size too much.

Cons

1) It adds complexity for the user. They now need to download 2 repos, not just one.

2) It will require instructions and messaging in multiple places to show them Examples are available elsewhere.

Thoughts anyone?

While it breaks a typical branching idea, why not just move the examples to a different branch?

I did consider that (for like a microsecond I admit), but I'm part of a few projects that use this approach, and it's a right bloody pain in the ass :)

I'd say move it to its own repo. 

That way you're way more flexible and the added "complexity" is neglectable for people who are working with web-stuff. The pros by far outweigh the cons in my opinion. I can think of many more pros but not a single more con. :) 

@owen I'm pretty sure you can use Git subrepos to manage this.

Ahh yes I see what you mean. My concern is more general though, because I come across the issue now during the 2.0 development (which is to be expected).

I'm currently trying to follow along daily with the pushes, but I still find many of the examples to not be using the latest version of Phaser, therefore they are invalid. Again, I understand this is to be expected during the lead up of the release of 2.0.

I'm more wondering about how this will be combatted post 2.0 release, with or without a separate repo.

I think it's a good idea too.

An other repository for labs can be a good idea too.

Make the Phaser repository can be just the repository where we can found the source of Phaser, and not everything in the world that rely on it.

And maybe you can go further by creating a Phaser organization where you put all this repo.

It can be a place where you also put the physics plugin you were talking about in an other post.

And in the future maybe you will add members to this organization for helping you with Phaser.

Good idea!

Regarding your cons.

There is no increased complexity. The casual user will download a packed zip containing everything, doesn't he ? All other users are (somewhat) familiar with git and should be able to manage it.

Maybe you should integrate the separated examples repository as a submodule in the core repository. Everybody who clones the phaser src can then pull the latest examples if required. This would be done by using git submodule init & git submodule update. You can even clone everything at once with git clone --recursive. That's not complex at all and would fix your second con point as it still seems like one place.

Ok a new repo it is then. I'm not going to sub-module it because I want github issues to be kept separate, split between the library and just the examples. Also I will only have 1 master branch for examples, no need for dev branch.

i'm relative new to github and i did'nt figured so far if it's possible to test the examples within the github repository.

Is it possible, or is the only way to execute the files to load it down and test it elsewhere?