HTML5 Devs: Star this chromium bug, make our lives easier

TimHamilton

Here's the basics: Back a few months ago, Google broke part of Chrome, specifically, part of the rendering engine that handles V-SYNC and frame timing. 

This has lead to degraded performance in Chrome, Chromium, Opera, and many desktop and mobile export options that are based off chromium, such as Intel Crosswalk, Adobe Phonegap, NW.JS (formerly node-webkit), and others.

This doesn't merely affect complex projects or poor/mobile hardware. The effects can be seen even with simple games running on powerful desktop and laptop computers. 

Here's what you can do to help: Make sure you are signed into your Google account, then go to the following bug report:

Once there, do this:

ChromeBug3.png?raw=1

That's all. You don't need to comment, run tests, or attempt to comprehend any of this. Just star it.

If even a few hundred people star this issue, we can push it into the top 100 issues on the chromium bug tracker. 

This was first posted on the "Construct 2" forums, just about 24 hours ago as of this post. Right now, we've more than tripled the number of stars this issue had a day ago...and it's been open nearly four months.

Please, just take 30 seconds of your time and do this.

Oh, and if you have a social media presence on twitter, facebook, etc., ask your friends and followers to star this too. Every click helps.

Let's make the web a better platform for html5 apps and games.

Okay...so stop reading this and star the bug already. ;)

That's all. You don't need to comment, run tests, or attempt to comprehend any of this. Just star it.

If even a few hundred people star this issue, we can push it into the top 100 issues on the chromium bug tracker.

I am certain that there are bigger issues than this that the Chrome team need to work on. Asking people to vote for your issue even if they can't understand it or reproduce it to try more attention is rude and disrespectful.

Shame on you sir, this is bad form.

I am certain that there are bigger issues than this that the Chrome team need to work on.

Ugh. Just... don't ok?

Different markets and different activites will require different things. For HTML5 game devs (and for interactive projects) it is important and we should be vocal about it. Fixing this regression means games published with NWJS feel native instead of choppy as hell.

Bigger for who? Get things into perspective and get off the high horse, seriously.

Ugh. Just... don't ok?

Different markets and different activites will require different things. For HTML5 game devs (and for interactive projects) it is important and we should be vocal about it. Fixing this regression means games published with NWJS feel native instead of choppy as hell.

Bigger for who? Get things into perspective and get off the high horse, seriously.

I did not say it wasn't important to HTML5 game devs. You obviously understand the issue and I do not begrudge you (or the poster of the thread) any right to vote on the importance of the bug ticket, helping the Chromium team to priorize this fix.

As I made clear, I draw the line at asking people to star this even if they have no idea what it is about, or even whether it effects them. Abusing the bug reporting system is where I draw the line, if you want the chromium developers to fix the code, be respectful to them.

I think the point they were making was that even if somebody reading this topic didn't understand the issue, the fact that they are on this forum implies that they are an HTML5 game developer and therefore the issue does affect them whether they realise it or not.

I am certain that there are bigger issues than this that the Chrome team need to work on. Asking people to vote for your issue even if they can't understand it or reproduce it to try more attention is rude and disrespectful.

Shame on you sir, this is bad form.

With that reasoning, only people with a PhD in environmental science should be allowed to sign any petitions regarding environmental issues. It doesn't matter whether the users can reproduce the bug or understand the technical details, what matters is that the people affected (users and developers) are informed about the problem in a clear and honest way so they can make an informed decision on whether to vote or not. Also, it's not like Google engineers are legally forced to work on whatever reaches the top 100 even if it means ignoring more serious and urgent issues.