I am completely new to HTML5. I have some questions for the veterans!

AnEggplant

Hello all! I am very interested in HTML5 game development. I think HTML5 and web games as a whole are a promising platform, plus I love programming and think it'd be fun. To give you some perspective, I'm not new to programming or even game development. I am fluent or at least very well versed in Python, and I am pretty good with  the Pygame library. I have made a few games with it, including a couple for the Ludum Dare. I am also familiar with C# and Java as well. I have completed the HTML and JavaScript courses at codecademy but it's been a while since I've used them. I have been trying to find good (preferably free) tutorials on HTML5 game development but so far I haven't found much. Plus I'm confused as to what tools to use. My questions are as follows:

1. What are the best (preferably free, but I can pay for something not too expensive) tutorials for someone new to HTML5 but not new to programming on a whole?

2. What libraries/frameworks/engines are the most popular? There seems to be many, but I was hoping that there is something that is largely used and has a lot of documentation and a decent sized community behind it.

3. What are some good text editors for Mac and Windows? I know this isn't that important, I was just curious as to what you recommend.

Thank you all for your time! I apologize if I am doing something wrong by asking this. If so, I will fix it ASAP. Thanks again!

I wouldn't call myself a veteran - but I read a lot to keep up with trends and nobody else is responding so I'll give answering your question a shot.

1: There is a lot of free information out there, so much so I understand it can be a bit daunting. It really depends on which technology or language you want to use - take your pick. One starting point would be the tutorials at phaser.io . HTML5 games are based on javascript libraries and kind of like a webpage packed into a game - see what people are using, consider your experience and make a decision, have some discipline to stick with it a while and you might see success..

2. Frameworks are an evolving technology. In the HTML5 context based in javascript or possibly webGL. This link might be helpful: https://html5gameengine.com/

3. Go to google and take your pick.. In windows notepad++ is one, also I've heard brackets is gaining popularity. Syntax highlighting is good. This is the kind of thing some really opinionated programmers debate over keyboard strokes, but really there is no right answer - it's more a matter of preference.

Thank you all for responding! I started using Brackets so that answers question 3.

As far as HTML5 gamedev goes, you're 2 years late to the licensing market.

I just want to do it for fun because programming/game development is my hobby, so no worries. :)

Try GameMaker Studio or Construct 2 if you're interested in using an engine. They're both really easy to pick up.

I personally am more interested in coding the game rather than using a game maker but thank you anyway. :)

Again, thank you all for your responses. I am currently deciding between using Phaser and Pixi.js, and I'm hoping to decide soon. 

Since you seem more interested in doing it as a hobby (kinda like me), I'd suggest using PIXI.js or any rendering engine and doing the rest by yourself. Phaser seems to add a lot of logic that you won't use, and takes away some of the fun. This way you'll learn a lot more ;-) (and not just game stuff)

Regarding editors, I think brackets is the best for Mac, but it's really up to you. In the end it's all about comfort, you won't make better games because you use one editor rather than another one ;)

Since you seem more interested in doing it as a hobby (kinda like me), I'd suggest using PIXI.js or any rendering engine and doing the rest by yourself. Phaser seems to add a lot of logic that you won't use, and takes away some of the fun. This way you'll learn a lot more ;-) (and not just game stuff)

Regarding editors, I think brackets is the best for Mac, but it's really up to you. In the end it's all about comfort, you won't make better games because you use one editor rather than another one ;)

Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards Pixi.js since it doesn't seem to hold your hand as much as Phaser which I like. And I like Brackets as well. I have it on my Mac and my Windows PC. :)