Interphase - A new publication for Phaser Developers

rich

post-1-0-49532600-1438813449_thumb.jpg

When we started planning Interphase we wanted it to be a mixture of everything we love about game development. As children growing up in the 80s we were surrounded by type in listings, books full of games and cover disks brimming with content to dig through. We immersed ourselves in this fledgling technology and absorbed everything we could. It was an exciting and intoxicating time.

Obviously things have moved on since then. You're no longer expected to laboriously copy code from newsprint quality paper. Even the concept of waiting for something to arrive in the mail is dated. As much as we both adore printed magazines, we agreed they just aren't the best format for a publication all about coding. Once you've committed to putting ink on dead trees it suddenly becomes impossible to make edits. And of course we can't embed playable games into paper pages either.

Yet we longed to create a Phaser magazine. To create something that didn't have to conform to the traditional layout of a book (ebook or otherwise). Something containing piles of premium content that would hopefully excite a new generation of Phaser developers.

The solution was blindingly simple. To use the best tool we had at our disposal: the web. It would allow us to bundle together all manner of Phaser related content, and to do so in an interface everyone is familiar with.

So that's what Interphase is all about. A treasure trove of Phaser knowledge built on web technology: In-depth technical content with real deep-dives into the guts and inner workings of Phaser. Complete finished games with "Making of" guides, so you can learn the thought processes and code behind them. Then rip them apart and refashion them yourself. Tutorials that focus on single concepts and cover them well; and of course lots of great art for you to use.

Check out the Interphase page for a list of contents and a special 15% discount available for all pre-orders.

I went to buy this but I wasn't sure if it would sign me up to a subscription? I got a message on paypal asking me to preapprove future payments made from my PayPal account.

If you could shed some light on this that would be great! :D

I went to buy this but I wasn't sure if it would sign me up to a subscription? I got a message on paypal asking me to preapprove future payments made from my PayPal account.

If you could shed some light on this that would be great! :D

Hmm that must be something Gumroad do. But I can assure you it's a one-off payment and it won't bill you monthly or anything. I think the message is asking you to pre-approve payments made via Gumroad as a whole (as lots of sites use it), rather than for Interphase specifically. I'm sure Gumroad support can confirm though.

Hmm that must be something Gumroad do. But I can assure you it's a one-off payment and it won't bill you monthly or anything. I think the message is asking you to pre-approve payments made via Gumroad as a whole (as lots of sites use it), rather than for Interphase specifically. I'm sure Gumroad support can confirm though.

That's good enough for me! I've never been so excited for the 5th of September. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Guide to tha state menager sounds really interesting. But I've got feelings that all 'the making of' will be very disappointing. On screenshots all these games looks super simple. I would really like to see something bigger and from real life. Because there is a lot of small tutorials explaining how to program simple mechanics. But problems arise when you try to make something more serious and polished. Programming something to just works is relatively easy, there are phaser examples and documentation that are enough for learning purposes. Architecture of your game and this thick layer of code above mechanics is something much harder to handle. So I would love to see something more in depth than just another 10 tutorials how to make flapy bird clone. Maybe dissecting some game made by photonstorm? Architecture of code, used design patterns etc... That would make me really hyped, because I start to feel that learning curve has pretty big step from "i can program anything" to "i can program anything and code is not a mess"

This looks awesome, unfortunatelly I can't pre-order / order it because I reside in Greece and we are under capital controls and no payments can be done towards banks abroad or even paypal.

I hope there is a choise to get these when we are able to in the future.

Best of luck with sales and the whole effort!

Nope :) I emailed everyone who pre-ordered (but that doesn't include those on patreon, sorry) saying it'll be September 12th. Here is the email in full for anyone who didn't see it:

First of all thank you so much for pre-ordering Interphase.

Ilija and I have been blown away by the response our little idea has received. We've been working our hearts out pixelling, coding and writing until our fingers are sore, but I'm afraid we desperately need a bit more time.

The release date is now September 12th.

Originally it was due on the 5th. However despite our best efforts (and lots of sleepless nights) we really need the extra week.

To be honest the reason is that it's grown far beyond what we anticipated. To give you a sense of scale we published a test run PDF today and it came out at a staggering 220 pages. And that was just the game coding tutorials.

It was no easy task making the decision to delay the launch. After all you don't disappoint a few hundred people lightly, and we genuinely regret having to do this. All I can say is that I absolutely promise it will result in a more polished and refined publication.

We won't be pushing the date back again. The 12th is definitely final: It's do or die time.

Cheers,

Rich & Ilija