Perf on mobile

GameMonetize

I just tried on Sony's Xperia Z3 Tablet, Android 5.1.1.  It is noticeably faster on Three.js.  Wish it was more quantifiable.  Not a major improvement, but clearly visible.

Also have iPad Air 2, ios 9.1.  There is no performance difference, but the three.js looks crappy.  The background is white & lines of boxes grainy.

My phone is Samsung Galaxy SIII.  Too old to care.

Hi

Checking on chrome/android 5 on my samsung GS5, with fps display flag activated in chrome.

Animation looks faster on Three. (rotation speed is about ? *2 or *3, no metric to quantify). fps is 60 fps (stable)

On BabylonJs, I only get fps in range about 17 to 20 fps.

Another difference is the zoom factor. I see twice as many cube on Three (scrollbar cover limited range 80 % of full view)

On bjs, scrollbar are selecting only 50% of full view, add to scroll a lot to view rest of scene. zoom in possible, but not zoom out to same view as in Three.

Yea, I thought you would like those 2 data points.  They are 2 radically different devices.  The Sony isn't even sold in the U.S.  You have to figure out how to get it out Japanese into English mode (10 minutes), but great for coverage / triangulating against iPad.

If you are going to mobile things with webGL, having only 1 device is insane.

@DK

I guess that the 3JS demo bottom faces are lit by the HemisphereLight because he set the ground light to white (second argument of the hlight constructor).

In the BJS demo, his hemispheric light has no groundlight, so I guess it's black by default.

As DK advised, the scenes are not the same, so this is not any type of reliable benchmark test. However, I'll report my findings, as using on my laptop and desktop, there is no difference in rendering speed or quality, running Windows 8.1 on both systems. However, on my Sony Xperia Z2 tablet running a quad core 2.3 Ghz CPU and a GPU with 2Ghz dedicated video RAM, there is a dramatic difference in the framerate between BJS and 3JS; where 3JS is running much faster than the BJS scene - however I added no code to display reference to fps, so I cannot tell you the precise difference in framerate - although there are no obvious differnces in rendering quality between BJS and 3JS. But again, these scenes are not identical, so I would personally run testing again with identical scenes if this is something you need to benchmark.

Nexus 7 (2012 model) on Chrome 47 and Android 5.1 - Three scene smooth framerate, Babylon screen really bad framerate (too lazy to actually measure it, but it looks like 7-8 fps if I'm generous... it's possibly 3-5fps)

As DK advised, the scenes are not the same, so this is not any type of reliable benchmark test.

Is it intended to be a benchmark though? I get the impression it's more just a comparison of how things preform out of the box if you don't dig into the engine and try and optimise things... perhaps defaulting to more performance intensive but better looking effects (at least in this case with the hemisphere light as noted by DK) is random Twitter guy's point (even if he didn't intend it to be) 

Thanks guys, I did not know about chrome://flags.  I got pretty much the same difference in values on the Sony Xperia Z3 after I got it turned on.

I would not get too worked up about benchmarks.  FPS is not the sole qualification.  The iPad results were pretty bad in looks for three.js.  Though I do not think this comparison tried to make a test where three.js would easily handle it better on Android, benchmarks are still a pretty terrible idea.  

If you were going to rig one, you would do it on mobile since the machines are less powerful.  Doing something which worked differently the 2 on the cpu side is easiest way to generate difference.  Having a different color for a material causes a different shader to be built in BJS.  Might that only be a different attribute passed in three.js?  I do not know or care, but having 200 materials in a scene is a significant for BJS on a small machine.  What happens when the cubes are all the same color?  The difference in quality of AA does not show up until you run on iPad.  Might not that be it?

If I sound cynical, I remember benchmarks past, like with SQL databases, where it was thought vendors were specifically tailoring there DB's to score well on benchmarks.  That would be harder with open source, but it is just a waste of every bodies time.