Play Tile Collapse 2 and create your own puzzles on Levelfactory.com

Levelfactory

16 minutes ago, staff0rd said:

Pretty cool!  Could do with some sounds.  How is PAR determined - this one is PAR 1, but there's two colours - am I missing a mechanic?

The level designer can type ANY number into the par field of the level settings... 1 is being generous I think, I chose -100 http://www.levelfactory.com/56964e3cbde9c/

(OK, it probably needs to do the Mario Maker thing of having the designer finish their level at or under the par they set to prove to the server it is possible, at least that is probably easier than trying to make an automated solver to confirm it)

EDIT: I feel like my earlier level wasn't changing enough so I made this one: http://www.levelfactory.com/56964ff753d3c/

28 minutes ago, staff0rd said:

I got 9

Just have to shave 109 clicks off then :P

Edit: I should point out,  http://www.levelfactory.com/56964ff753d3c/ (my 2nd level) shows off other bugs too. Clicking the corner tiles or near them doesn't clear all the blocks (while clicking near the centre does). There is also some point in-between which clears all but 1 tile, when this happens you can not click that tile/finish the game.

Also even if I play my level more than the "popular" levels it doesn't become popular.... should it?

Edited by chg

Wow, thanks everyone for the reactions!

I made Tile Collapse for mobile first, but I had to remove it from the app stores. So now I ported it to HTML5!

There are a couple of valid points. As chg notices, the flood fill algorithm doesn't seek deep enough to clear all the tiles, this had to do with memory limitations on mobile platforms, but I'll fix this on the HTML5 version.

I will add a few more screens with instructions and a few tip messages, as it is not clear that in this game you can only remove tiles when there are two or more of the same color connected. This explains chg's second 'bug'.

Thanks everyone for playing, I'm looking forward to see all the cool puzzles you can design!

41 minutes ago, Levelfactory said:

As chg notices, the flood fill algorithm doesn't seek deep enough to clear all the tiles, this had to do with memory limitations on mobile platforms, but I'll fix this on the HTML5 version.

Good work on fixing the flood fill issue so quickly! I do find the explanation about mobile memory use rather strange though... It might just be that I remember 8bit micro computers with like 16KB of RAM handling flood fill on areas bigger than 16 x 16 (I don't mean this to call you out, rather I think it helps to remember that even with the limits of mobiles, they are still powerful supercomputers compared to most of the computers that have ever existed)

42 minutes ago, Levelfactory said:

I will add a few more screens with instructions and a few tip messages, as it is not clear that in this game you can only remove tiles when there are two or more of the same color connected. This explains chg's second 'bug'.

You probably need a losing state for this, or at least an undo/restart. It not just a lack of instructions, but rather just being stuck when it happens... certainly other games I've seen with the mechanic described detect when there are no more moves left and inform the player they have lost.

Anyway, it is a nice game... I liked the animation (even if waiting for the remaining tiles to move from right to left after a large clear is frustrating in a timed game)

I like that you refer to the time when programmers had to be so creative with scarce resources, and you're right. Somehow I always got stack overflow errors with Java when recursing too deep, and I got too bored to fix that.

An undo button is an absolute must and it is one of the things I plan to implement soon. Also I want to have a level editor more in the way of Mario Maker, where it is better integrated in the game. Thanks for your reply!

Undo seems a bit cheaty - seems a restart button is needed also, considering you can get to the point where there's only one block remaining, but clicking it results in a message regarding you not being able to click it, so the level's basically over, but you have to either refresh the browser window, click next level, or spam undo.

Also, after completing that tangram level and clicking Play Again, the level was displayed like this;

lf.thumb.JPG.39509aa320416a7874edda1f21f

Although it seems like a rendering issue only, considering you can still play it, when you click say the bottom green area, the rest of the green ones show up.

I was able to get that level into the following state also;

lf2.thumb.JPG.f8674e3e5bde0818b511b9c069

In this scenario, clicking the bottom block results in the message warning you can't click a block that's not attached to its same colour.  I did not try the top block so I'm unsure whether it was a rendering issue or a game bug.

Also, you're spamming the console with true/false messages.

On 1/16/2016 at 2:36 AM, staff0rd said:

Undo seems a bit cheaty - seems a restart button is needed also, considering you can get to the point where there's only one block remaining, but clicking it results in a message regarding you not being able to click it, so the level's basically over, but you have to either refresh the browser window, click next level, or spam undo.

Also, after completing that tangram level and clicking Play Again, the level was displayed like this;

Although it seems like a rendering issue only, considering you can still play it, when you click say the bottom green area, the rest of the green ones show up.

I was able to get that level into the following state also;

In this scenario, clicking the bottom block results in the message warning you can't click a block that's not attached to its same colour.  I did not try the top block so I'm unsure whether it was a rendering issue or a game bug.

Also, you're spamming the console with true/false messages.

Thanks for your thorough look, a restart button will be added soon. You are right about the restart bug, I noticed that appearing too today, I will try to fix that bug in the next update.

Do you remember how you got into the state with the two loose tiles? It's something I haven't seen before and I want to look into that!