Playground - Leave page confirmation - talk

Wingnut

what browser are you using? it should never be checked on refresh... weird I got it to do it as well, yea this should not be happening i will fix right away.

I see where its happening, good catch adam I will fix it now!  It triggering when custom data is loaded into the editor super easy fix.

it really has nothing to remember, its automatically set off, whats happening is on the custom json load, its triggering that the data has changed, and so its ticking the box.  Im fixing it now, I would of had no way to see that on my local version because the json loads do not work on my hosted version.  On it now, 10 points to Griffindor for Adams fix and explaining it to me what was happening.

@Deltakosh

Please add this to line 75 of index.js so we can fix this ^_^:

document.getElementById('safemodeToggle').checked = false;

I should have noticed thats why who ever did the original loader set the trigger to true to load, and then false to make sure it knew that a person made changes not just the json load.

Sorry if this transition has been bothersome guys, hopefully after this fix its a thing of the past and you can start enjoying the update instead of being annoyed with it ^_^

:)  It's all cool, Pryme8.  One thing I DID notice, though.  All other "toggle buttons" on the playground... use +this and -that.  Who had the less-than-optimal idea to use a checkbox?

Oh, that was me?  Crap.  hmm.

Ok, about 267 users need to weigh-in, yet.  The voting should be done in another month or two.  :D

It automatically turns ON safe mode... when an edit is made?  hmm.  I'm not sure that I am happy with that.

I would rather have it turn on only when I turn it on.  Do others have opinions on this? 

You know how it goes.  When we propose changes to one of the great public high-visibility institutions such as the playground, there's sure to be months and months of controversial public debate.  And we haven't even STARTED with the environmental impact studies, yet.  :)

Polls?  Yep.  I think it is part of "start a new topic" area.  The real question is, can it have 20 questions on a single ballot?  And, starting a precedence of "decision by committee" around here... that can get scary.  Next thing you know, the lemmings will expect it every time a community-impactful decision needs to be made.  The community might faction into warring tribes, and thousands could die! 

Think about the fuse you COULD be lighting, here.  Do we WANT commoners involved in government and other "board of directors"-level decision-making?  I think we might need a psychological impact study, too.  :o  Maybe tree-huggers would be happiest if they stayed-away from the lumber mill, eh?

18 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

I would rather have it turn on only when I turn it on.

It sounds like more people want the checkbox.  I think the checkbox makes more sense when you get rid of the data change feature.  My first choice is simply to have the data change feature.  Second choice is checkbox only.  Third choice is the combo.

Hi adam!   There's actually a 4th choice.  Turns ON with data change, but if user turns it off, won't come back on with future data changes, but WILL come back on if user turns it on.

You see, the only time I really want it ON... is when I'm in a hurry, or when real life interruptions are happening often.

I think the idea wingnut just said is a good one.  we could also add a timeout where if your idle on the page for like 15 mins or something it toggles safemode on, for those time when the dog starts puking everywhere and you have to run them outside and didn't remember to hit safemode.

If I'm in enough of a hurry, the first data change will turn it on, and I won't even notice.

Two hours later, when I return from RL interruptions, and start closing browser windows...  that's when I'll be happy with these "hey, you didn't save this yet" -reminders.

Yeah, it would be best to turn-on all playground safe-mode checkboxes just before leaving to handle the interruption.  *sigh*  This is hard.  Thinking sucks. :)

3 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

If I'm in enough of a hurry, the first data change will turn it on, and I won't even notice.

This is getting confusing. :)   What if in your previous session you turned it off?  Then you would lose your changes. (I'm referring to the fourth option)

Just now, adam said:

This is getting confusing. :)   What if in your previous session you turned it off?  Then you would lose your changes.

Im not going to be able to store previous session settings, unless i get access to yoda, and that's not happening, I mean I coooould make it work but that violates the Usage agreement.   We will be limited to it knowing what you set for that current page loading. But I can make it so that no matter what if you turned it off and dont reload the page any data changes wont turn it back on.

3 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Unless... the playground session idles for more than 15 minutes.  Then it turns itself ON again, no matter what.  :o  (ouch.  My brain hurts!)

Only if their has been a data change ^_^, and then when you come back on the first initial data change after it went idle, if it was off it will turn it off again, so that way you dont have to click it off but then if the cat walks across your keyboard while your gone all is not lost.

WOW!  It sounds great, but I need a flow chart, now.  :D  Might as well make it in a playground, so we can re-arrange the boxes and the text and the linesMesh, eh?  Yay data viz!

im gonna back off with my hands raised slowly and wait for what ever response happens as a result of my meddling

ROFL.  That is SO funny!

I ran out of LIKE quota... guys.  Pretend I like all of it... which I really do.

4 minutes ago, adam said:

I was just thinking you would be using cookies.

I could, I'm not sure if the playground stores any cookies right now though as I have not seen any in the script anywhere, so I was trying to stay away from them.

--cookies are evil. in this instance they are not, but for the most part I stay away from them cause guys like me know how to harvest any private data stored on any browser you have installed with a hidden thread just by you visiting a website (and the scary part is I don't even have to own the website or be given access.)

you would be amazed what you can do with Node.js and Selenium with some headless injections methods.

Oh man!  P8... geez.  Don't scare the commoners (like me).  :)

"headless injections methods"... phew.  I knew this girl one time.. and she... ahhh... nevermind.

P8, I need you to change your forum icon to something much more happy-looking, okay?  hah

(just kidding, of course)  :)

Oh, I know.   Once we get the playground-based flow-chart for this issue... completed, then P8 will turn it into one of them "playground plugins" ... "The Polling Playground"   We have clickable linesMesh now, so... users can vote-up/down flow chart branches, and the plugin will tally and store the data at.... um...  I have no idea where.  :)

haha, question is after all this is done you guys want an object manager? ^_^

I have a super duper cheerio secret project on the boiler plate that will kinda invalidate the playground per say... but that's not now so don't worry.