Playground - Leave page confirmation - talk

Wingnut

Hi guys!  I'm sure many of us have seen the new "confirm leaving page" panel when you try to close a playground.  Who likes it?  Who doesn't like it?  Why?

Should we think about a "safe mode" checkbox that is set unchecked (off) by default?  When unchecked, it does not raise the panel.  When checked, it does.  Thoughts?  (thx)

Even though I have asked for this "feature" twice before, now that I see it, I don't like it happening ALL THE TIME.  That's why I thought about the checkbox idea.  *shrug*

Other ideas?  (thx)  I hope everyone is well!  Party on!

Safe mode sounds great! We can turn it off when we just quickly want to test stuff in PG and leave it. Requesting confirmation every time you're trying to leave can be annoying though if you're just planning to do "quick work"

Edit: How about adding a mobile support to PG? What I mean is viewing the result of PG work in mobile (not writing code)

Sometimes it is good to know how your scene will render on a mobile device

3 minutes ago, adam said:

I agree.  The confirmation is a drag if you are simply viewing a PG.

I think the confirmation should only happen if you have made a change to the source.  That should be pretty easy to implement.

But what if we enter playground just to test a line of code or two... This is a common practice among beginners and confirmation messages can become annoying after a while

Got it guys, I will add a check box to force the mode or a trigger that checks for changes in data in the page?

Y'all pick, I can do it here this afternoon after I finish some of my paid work.
Option A - Safe Mode Checkbox only
Option B - Data Trigger only
Option C - a combination of both somehow?

It wont be a problem i just gotta be able to look at it for a second.

@Pryme8 let's go for C! Maybe we can put some logic there like for example Safe Mode Checkbox is turned off by default but when you make some changes it automatically turns it on? This can be useful also when we open let's say a PG example considering that we won't change the code, just look at it for reference but we also don't want to close the PG accidentally. I think it sounds awesome! Btw thanks for all the work done on PG appreciate it :) 

@Deltakosh

https://github.com/Pryme8/PrymesPlayground/commit/3768f2a160e4d8f637045b07890b6ddf44d5b634

the one line change in the bootstrap.css is not required but does clean up the position of the bootstraps checkboxs, they have their line heights set ups so dumb, but yea... could have gone to the next level on this and made it check the value of the editor vs the original loaded instead of checking for just changes but I figured id strap on to the listener that was already there, and plus you can just unclick safe mode so that would be kinda redundant.

<3 you guys, if there is any more functionality you want just swing me your idea, Ill see if delta thinks its a good idea and well go from there.

on a side note if I modify enough of the stuff and get my changes approved does that makes me a contributing author?

14 hours ago, Pryme8 said:

on a side note if I modify enough of the stuff and get my changes approved does that makes me a contributing author?

Youuuu jussssssst... calm the hell down, Junior Deputy Wannabe.  :D

There's criteria to meet/exceed.

#1.  User Dbawel needs to smell your feet and see if they have proper "progger stench"
#2.  Promise not to drive drunk on the forum.
#3.  Memorize and sing The BabylonJS Anthem  (A Quinn/Martin Production)
#4.  Present demos/projects in a way that does not scare animals.

Easy.  :)

42 minutes ago, OMAR said:

YOU AREN'T ALREADY?! Damn it's a shame how these guys treat you here :D 

Haha, they treat me appropriate?. I showed up out of nowhere like 3 months ago and just started acting like I was here the whole time.  I'm sure half of these guys were like who the heck.  Plus I was asking for access to things I really had no right to (and still don't) yet.  Not to mention I kinda don't understand the whole communities dynamic fully and I'm sure I rub some people wrong.

The dialog should not pop up if you have not made changes

if it's still annoying we can get rid of the data trigger and just go with you deciding to turn it on.

definitly do not want to burden the user, but we for sure want the ability to protect your development space from Dom navigation.

Ok cool, this should not be the case, I will see if I can fix that.  Odd though cause the way it's set up is if you refresh the page it's inherently set to off and would take you making changes to the playground.  If your refuring to after your refresh and change data that it turns on then yea it's working right.

why are you refreshing the page anyways? Run and save just do a json request and do not reload the page, so what ever you had on it should still be what's set.

im thinking your not liking the data trigger, I can easily remove that if everyone else agrees it's a burden.  The whole point of it though is to save people from accidentally  navigating away from their changes which you may have not had a problem with but quite a few people did.

11 minutes ago, Pryme8 said:

why are you refreshing the page anyways?

To show you the issue.

12 minutes ago, Pryme8 said:

im thinking your not liking the data trigger,

I like the data trigger.  I don't like the check box, but if it has to be there, it should remember that you unchecked it.

If I am just viewing a bunch of playgrounds, I shouldn't have to check the safe mode checkbox on every view, just like a shouldn't have to tell a dialog box that I really want to leave the page.