Object id and name - babylon.js exporter

ian

Hi Ian! This is a Blender question, not a BJS question... but what the heck.  http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/46795/is-there-a-quick-way-to-copy-the-object-name-to-the-mesh-data-name

That might help... especially the little video.  Perhaps do some tests - export a few things, examine the .babylon file, then import into BJS and compare again.  Viewing the .babylon file after Blender export... will give quick knowledge, I think.  Be well.

@ian: @Wingnut gives you one answer about changing the names of your objects/meshes in Blender. There are other ways. But is that the answer you are looking for?

You write

Name and id are same

Something like this from a .babylon file of mine:

"name":"Base_figure1:Body","id":"Base_figure1:Body"

Both "name" and "id" are the same. I have no idea why they are the same - but it seems to have been this way since I started using BJS. Don't think I have ever used the "id" in anything I have ever built.

Do you have specific reasons for wanting them to be different?

cheers, gryff :)

@ian -

I don't know if this answers your question, but we give a name to elements in babylon.js so that we can later call them by name in BJS operations and functions. Without providing a unique name (even if it is the same name as the original element you are loading), then many functions in BJS wouldn't recognize the name of any element such as a mesh or material without providing a unique name identifying a loaded element in your babylon scene. 

I hope this answers your question.

DB

In the case of Blender, there is really only a name.  But other producers do have this "77e03ea9-e95a-46a9-b16a-0262102546fc" kind of stuff for id.  Just so you can code in BJS using either scene.getxxxByName() or scene.getxxxByID() methods, the Blender producer just populates both name & id with the same values.