[WIP] Penny Farthing Card Game Engine

kbmonkey

Here is a card game engine I recently whipped up. I implemented a couple card games so far, which you can play.

My motivation was to learn the 2d web canvas, the engine is written in Vanilla JavaScript and has zero dependencies. The UI was thrown together with Bootstrap.

It supports dynamic view ports and is thus mobile friendly. Still in early development, but playable and winnable

http://wesleywerner.github.io/penny-farthing/

penny-farthing.png

Twice I got shuffles that didn't allow me to complete the game. But I do love Solitaire, haha, probably by force because it used to be one of the only games on the PC. I'm sure you remember.

It's smooth and has some good transitions. like the feel. The only off thing is having that circle when dragging the card. It just feels weird and I keep misplacing the cards, because, seeing the card makes me feel like I'm dragging it. I'd say either drag the actual card or draw the circle with the card inside it.

Cool game, veryimpressive that it was build without dependencies on Phaser or anything. :)

But I agree with Umz that the circle cursor and the "offset" to the card is confusing. I understand that this was probably done to keep the moving card visible under your fingers when playing on a touch device. But I think it would be more intuitive if the card is slightly above the touch cursor instead of to the left.

On 5/18/2016 at 3:06 PM, kbmonkey said:

@danyburton There are hundreds of versions of solitaire games and Klondike is one of the more known versions.

To help me debug what you saw, when I start a klondike game #735 there is a red 9 and a red 3 visible. I am not able to put the 9 on the 3. Can you?

No I can't. But I definitely did one time, which is strange.

I've played sooo many solitaire games. This one seems well done, but I was unlucky to hit #697 which I think can't be won cause red nines are under black eights and also other cards that'd go in the ordered stacks that'd let you remove black eights are there too. Anyways, three things:

1. What others mentioned about the dragging circle.
  2. I'm so used to double clicking to automatically place the relevant card on the ordered stack that I missed it a bit too much.
  3. Are you sure the pictures aren't from Windows' original solitaire game? (Edit: No, it's not. Sorry :D) Be careful about rights.

20 hours ago, kbmonkey said:

I centred the dragged cards around the cursor/finger, and removed the focus arc. This does feel better :)

Just feels more natural now. It's just where the eye focuses you want the card to drop. Making it transparent works well too. There's not much to remember in the game, but these little things are just a great aid.