Have a Three js app considering converting

chicagobob123

Hi guys.  Been thinkin'.  Is the building/texturing of these containers... possibly a job for shaderBuilder and geometryBuilder?  hmm.

Let's review: 15 company logos (decals?) on 20,000 rib-textured containers... of 3 different scalings/sizes.  Plus, a few dynamic-textured "Company Name" decals... for companies with no logos registered with ChiBob. 

One problem with scaling (to get the 3 sizes)... is that the base rib-texture on the sides of the containers... will scale too, I think.  So, smaller containers will have dense ribbing, where larger containers will be wider-ribbed.  This might look goofy... not sure.

How many base colors COULD the containers have, C-bob?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/CSCL_Globe_arriving_at_Felixstowe,_United_Kingdom.jpg

It appears that each company uses a specific back-color for THEIR containers.  Do you have a package of textures with logos on them, already, C-bob?  Are they unwrapped UV maps?  Can you publicly-publish a zip of those?  No big deal, if ya can't.  Just curious.  Thinking about ref-maps (sample maps) for shaders... but I know so little about shaders, it's just sad.  :)

I'm thinking... three steps to texture a container.  One, lay down a base color.  Two, somehow fake its ribs... maybe bumpMap, maybe shader, I dunno.  Three, overlay the company name/logo.  Sort of a texture assembling engine.  AND...

I'm thinking... about each particle of an SPS system... being an object.  Objects can be overloaded.  They can carry things like "how to texture me" and even their own:

particle.textureMeWithProperRibScaleAndBaseColorAndCompanyId()

Besides Jerome's info about scaling a particle to 0 to make it invisible... it might also be easy to set new texturing information on an old, unneeded container... IF the container (the particle) was "smart".  And since we're overloading, each particle might hold a .location.  Particle systems always have an update() function but that need-not "control" the particle.  Instead, it could call functions on each particle... things like particle.checkForUpdateInfoFromChiBobDBAndImplementAsNecessary()  hehe.  Nice func name, eh?

The particleSystem update func... would hand-off the updating to the particle itself.  The particle could do some queries, and get fresh size, colors, logo, location... and adjust itself.

I don't know if this solves ANYTHING... but I just wanted to yap about what I was thinking. 

I think @NasimiAsl's shaderBuilder and geometryBuilder COULD be the answer to this... handing-off much of the load to the GPU.  Not sure, though.  And "Naz"... you know him.  He's into lobster, race cars, and supermodels.  He will surely want a couple grand to code-up a GPU container maker (just kidding, of course).  But, I DO think he is the only one nearby... good enough at driving shader/geometry builder... to pull this off.  And, he's a darned nice guy, too.  Maybe he'll come visit this thread and tell us what he thinks.

kbye.  :) 

hi I don't understand what is exact problem in this post ?

1. What is SPS problem in this case ?

2. How many Logo You need Render in on Frame on Your Mesh(SPS or any others..)?

i see @jerome Samples it is fine 

but if you need more how much more is enough

about indexed texture if you can make on pic 4096x4096 with all your logos you can manage that with uv

anywhere 

@Wingnut  i start that with 27K surface 

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#7E2IY#13

Hi Naz.  No problems.  I am considering various high-performance ways to create many containers that are somewhat alike.  Thanks for the demo.  27k surfaces, I'm still at 59-60 fps. 

Did you look at the picture, Naz?  Maybe ribs on box sides can be created procedurally? 

Then, the only textures needed... are the logos/company-names (decals?).  Perhaps the ribbed surface and base color could be a shader? 

Still needs refmap textures, I suppose.  Dunno.  I still don't understand shaders very well.

http://www.acecontainerparts.com/img/p/58-231-thickbox.jpg

I could be confusing procedural textures with shaderBuilder materials.  I'm not too bright, ya know?  :)