Deliver HTML5 Games as Native Windows Apps

puresimmer

Hi guys, we have just hit Beta with Alchemium.  Alchemium lets you build native Windows applications with HTML5 and JavaScript.

Our runtime uses a modified version of Chromium (v31) so the HTML5 support is deep.  We didn't initially think that this could be useful outside our initial target market, but it dawned on me that it could be a cool option for distributing your games as native applications on Windows.

I'd love to get some beta testers if any of you are interested.  The beta is currently open and free.

Shaun Sullivan

electric plum

It's perfect if you want to access native .NET code easily (using the .NET extensibility model)  from your app's JavaScript code, and it safely bundles application resources and code with the EXE.  It's easier to distribute as well.  Of course it is not cross platform, so that could be a non-starter for some :)

Like I said, probably not the perfect target developer group here, but just posted it to see if there was interest.

Sounds cool to me. What sort of exe size do you get out of it? (node webkit exes are massive, 60MB+).

I very much second this question. One of my projects uses node-webkit, but output executables are simply a bit too large, so I'm considering options. It would be of use to be able to sacrifice some functionality for smaller filesize.

I gave it a quick try but had some issues.

Basically the game is running as I can see it in the taskbar thumbnail preview (see below) but clicking on the window never brings it to the screen (it was running unpackaged). Then when I used the packager the window appeared but it simply displays a black background with the Alchemium watermark on it - maybe something I missed or an issue with running on Windows 8?

By the way I noticed that the executable is 32-bit, do you support 64-bit as well?

issue.png

I gave it a quick try but had some issues.

Basically the game is running as I can see it in the taskbar thumbnail preview (see below) but clicking on the window never brings it to the screen (it was running unpackaged). Then when I used the packager the window appeared but it simply displays a black background with the Alchemium watermark on it - maybe something I missed or an issue with running on Windows 8?

By the way I noticed that the executable is 32-bit, do you support 64-bit as well?

issue.png

Hi, is the start page you are accessing a local resource in the .\app\ folder?

Should be fine on Windows 8, as that is what my dev box is.

Thanks for taking it for a spin.