HDpuzzles.com

ErikNijland

Hi there,

I've created a puzzle game. The basics are very simple, just drag and drop pieces around to complete the puzzle.

I'm just stuck on making this more 'like a real game', the obvious thing to do is add a scoreboard and do stuff with progress and achievements but I'm not sure I want that. I usually hate those aspects in other games myself. Anyway here is my work so far, any feedback is appreciated:

http://www.hdpuzzles.com/

post-923-0-06542200-1364323609.jpg

Wow, you're off to a really great start already!  You've got a solid looking website, and an easy to remember domain to go with it.  I figured that domain would have gotten snatched up a long time ago.  Anyway, if you're not a fan of having leaderboards and achievements, I have a few other ideas.  

Perhaps you could have Categories to make selecting a picture that you like easier.  Examples would be "Nature," "Abstract," "Cars," and so on.  Or maybe you could even add the option for users to upload their own pictures?  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the positive feedback. Right now I'm working on a categorization/filter mechanism (thanks for the tip). The admin sections supports it. Now I have to go through a list of 369 puzzles... aaaaaargh what a work, but hey you got to have a hobby

Wow, you're off to a really great start already!  You've got a solid looking website, and an easy to remember domain to go with it.  I figured that domain would have gotten snatched up a long time ago.  Anyway, if you're not a fan of having leaderboards and achievements, I have a few other ideas.  

Perhaps you could have Categories to make selecting a picture that you like easier.  Examples would be "Nature," "Abstract," "Cars," and so on.  Or maybe you could even add the option for users to upload their own pictures?  

I've just finished implemting this, thanks for the tip.

• 3 weeks later...

I liked it. Somewhat similar but way better than my picture puzzle game. What I did to add challenge (self imposed challenge) was make a timed mode that sets a timer depending on the size of the puzzle. I also made a "moves" mode that gives the player a limited amount of moves to solve the puzzle. You can also play in both timed and moves mode at the same time. You are already keeping track of the time taken and the moves used so this shouldn't be to hard to implement if you wanted to. My game doesn't have a preview option like yours  but It does have an option to show only the edges of the puzzle, you could implement that too.

You got some really nice pictures. Good job!

• 9 months later...