Dropbox disabling HTML rendering

KyleNau

Hey,

I got a notice from DropBox that they will be disabling HTML rendering for public links as of October:

We’re writing to let you know that we’ll be discontinuing the ability to render HTML content in-browser via shared links or Public Folder. If you're using Dropbox shared links to host HTML files for a website, the content will no longer display in-browser.

Please note that this change will take effect for your account on October 3, 2016, and only impacts how shared files are displayed on the web.

Just a heads-up for anyone hosting their games portfolio on DropBox. You will likely have to find another hosting solution.

Kyle

I like GitHub pages for the right projects but we should be aware that its priority is to make all project files (including changes and deleted files) publicly listable / easily downloadable / cloned.  Also many users may assume that all GitHub content is published under a permissive license.  i.e. it may suit some purposes, but not all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2016 at 8:50 PM, Wolfram said:

Github pages hosts your content for free. If your project is already on github, all you need to do is create and push a branch called gh-pages and it can be accessed from <accountname>.github.io/<projectname>

You no longer need a separate gh-pages branch. You can (under project settings) set any branch to be the "gh-pages" branch, including master.

On 9/7/2016 at 3:42 AM, b10b said:

I like GitHub pages for the right projects but we should be aware that its priority is to make all project files (including changes and deleted files) publicly listable / easily downloadable / cloned.  Also many users may assume that all GitHub content is published under a permissive license.  i.e. it may suit some purposes, but not all.

BitBucket has the same "pages" feature as GitHub but your repositories are private (and free).

Edited by jaminscript
Added links for the lazy