Nintendo Switch

gregmax17

I would expect Nintendo to expand their Nintendo Web Framework https://developer.nintendo.com/tools tool to work with the Switch, but they might just depend on third-party software. The console itself seems poised to take advantage of the indie market share from Sony's PSP and Vita and even the 3DS.

And since the console itself has incredibly limited internal storage, I could see Nintendo pushing for non-downloadable content.

But yeah, wait and see. Nintendo is launching the Switch early to take advantage of the new Zelda marketing, and to satisfy their investors before their fiscal year ends, so most of the features of the Switch will come before the holiday season this year

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

No, nothing yet, sadly.

My take is that they won't release anything until next year. If you recall, this is what happened with the WiiU and their Nintendo Web Framework (NWF), where it was announced and released a full year after the launch of the WiiU.

I can see them taking this approach again as they continue to focus on first party games, or other major 3rd party games, that will push Switch sales for this upcoming holiday season. HTML5 games won't do that as they tend to be more smaller scaled games - I hate to admit this as a HTML5 game developer myself.

Give it time, but I'm sure it will come some day.

It apparently only took Tommy Refennes 2 days to get the Super Meat Boy engine running on the Switch, so if you've got the skills and an HTML5 wrapper then that could be an option. Or you could find yourself someone to publish it for you. Getting your game on Switch without a publisher could be tricky, it might be better to focus on the Wii U for now if you don't want to go down the publisher route.

• 4 months later...

I asked Nintendo and got this reply:

"HTML5/JavaScript development is not supported on the Switch, and we have no plans to support it in the future. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Perhaps if Nintendo is approached by high-quality HTML5-games they would consider supporting it, but I think it's hard to convince them with empty hands.

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2018 at 1:49 PM, nkholski said:

I asked Nintendo and got this reply:

"HTML5/JavaScript development is not supported on the Switch, and we have no plans to support it in the future. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Perhaps if Nintendo is approached by high-quality HTML5-games they would consider supporting it, but I think it's hard to convince them with empty hands.

We’ve recently set up an open petition on Change.org to ask Nintendo to do something for HTML5 games. I highly recommend you to take a look at this: https://www.change.org/p/construct-developers-construct-game-engine-support-for-the-nintendo-switch?recruiter=false&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=tap_basic_share&utm_term=triggered - Every signature could make the difference.

8 hours ago, mirrorlink said:

upon further research i found out that xbox does provide edge as webview. that is awesome

Yes, Xbox is definitely not the one to blame here.
HTML5 games are supported by Windows 10+ by running it as - what they call - a Windows Store App, or UWP for Universal Windows Platform app.
I'm not a very big fan of Microsoft, but we've to admit they did a very good job with this on serving cross-platform applications.
If you build an UWP app, then this one will work on any Windows 10 device like a PC, phone, or tablet and even the Xbox. ^_^

Here is a quick-start development guide for UWP game apps: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/gaming/e2e

I haven't developed for UWP yet, but I already plan to do so for my next game.

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2018 at 9:07 AM, Antoine Guédès said:

Yes, Xbox is definitely not the one to blame here.
HTML5 games are supported by Windows 10+ by running it as - what they call - a Windows Store App, or UWP for Universal Windows Platform app.
I'm not a very big fan of Microsoft, but we've to admit they did a very good job with this on serving cross-platform applications.
If you build an UWP app, then this one will work on any Windows 10 device like a PC, phone, or tablet and even the Xbox. ^_^

Here is a quick-start development guide for UWP game apps: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/gaming/e2e

I haven't developed for UWP yet, but I already plan to do so for my next game.

Yeah exactly. My workflow is:

Develop game in cocos Creator

Export as html5

Put in Cordova to build for Android and iOS . (Chrome/Safari)

Put in electron for Mac and Windows. (Chrome)

Put in Visual Studio for Xbox. (Edge)

• 2 years later...