[WIP] Prank

Otho

jogo.thumb.png.9c522a8309be6a97d3f4803e8f60b066.png

About:

The game is called Prank and I am developing it alone in HTML5. The gameplay is inspired mostly by liero.

Gameplay:

You choose 5 weapons and try to kill the other players while destroying the terrain.

Techinical:

I have not used any framework or engine. I am programming it in Typescript and rendering things using canvas 2D, but I am considering to use some kind of render library to improve the game performance.

At moment the game can only be played locally, but I want to add online multiplayer.

I will post a link to the game in a few weeks, because it still needs a little more polishment.

Oh, cool! I've played with destructible terrain in Unity and had lots of fun - all kinds of explosions, raining pixels on various slopes, realistic and random pixel collisions, etc. I haven't used quadtrees - they seem very good for performance so it's a thing I'll keep in mind. My final goal was to make an unlimited destructible world using chunks of screen data stored and reloaded on the HDD as the come in view - had something relatively working but I abandoned the project in the end. 

One interesting thing to note regarding performance is using a limited color palette - with the standard rgba (0-255 per channel) you have to store a 4 million someting integer for each pixel - 4 bytes. That may not seem like much but it adds when the whole world is tens of thousands of pixels in width and height. One can pack quite a lot of color variation in a singly byte thus drastically reducing the amount of data required for each pixel. 

Another handy trick is to use 4 pixels or 16 as the smallest destructible unit thus improving performance even more.

My maps aren't that big. They are 2048x2048, so I am not having much problems with memory.

I have a constant on my QuadTree that defines the size of the smallest destructible unit, but the game is working fine with 1.

What I am having performance problems is rendering everything on screen. I am considering using PIXI js so it would use webgl instead of canvas2D, but I am not sure it will be worth the effort.

• 1 year later...