Particle Hair

JCPalmer

Well, fought through all the framework change crap. Looks like this is going to be very do-able someday.  Since the scene no longer has an arcrotate camera, have not updated the web scene.  Here is a pic:

vertexcolors.thumb.jpg.2af29061b661cac668426f85c567a83f.jpg

After PR, will change back to Arcrotate, and tune the range of color variation a little better (-.1 to .1 seems a little large), then update web scene. 

Am sort of out of time for now, but will make an attempt to make a first "real" hair soon.  This thing is just some piece of crap I made in a few minutes.  Do not think Dreamworks has anything to worry about, but Unity check your underwear.

I fetched - merged, after my commit / PR, then built.  I still have a problem with _getTargetPosition.  I am supplying a mesh in constructor.  At constructor time there is no way to have a _targetHost yet, so it returns this_.target.  I changed it to return this._target.position.clone(); , but I get a transpile problem.

I like calling setTarget, in the constructor.  SetTarget does this though:

this._target = this._getTargetPosition();

Problem is _getTargetPosition() references this._target.  For me, I just changed the constructor to always set this._target.  In my simple scene, the mesh that is my target is also at zero, so not sure this is production worthy.  I am up and running, and can now wrap this up. (Now that I can move around, this looks much better than the picture & how good I thought it was going to be)

Changed to:

this._target = Vector3.Zero();
if (target) {
    this.setTarget(target);
}

Ok, I settled on a color random adjustment of -.05 to .05 to differentiate the strands.  I also tried to change the base color to get a better blonde with less greenishness. I also dropped the number of strands from 20k to 12k (4 segments per strand).  On a non-square head that was not bright red & a decent style, I think it would look better, obviously.  Link once again.

Finally, I moved the camera back.  As you zoom in you can see increasing detail, not some underlying and blurry textured mesh.

For short styles, you might need the 20k strands, but might get away with maybe 2 segments,  For a comb over, perhaps define as 5 segments, and rely on the limited dissolve to trim the short hairs.

Thanks for the fix, I'll update the code

Regarding ShaderMaterial and freezing support, this is tough as I cannot know beforehand which attributes / features will be used.

But you are right, I'm not sure we will  lose a lot of performance if we use the stdMaterial.

TL,DR: I agree :)