Other ways of making money from html5 game except selling to sponsors

mazoku

12 hours ago, BobF said:

Interesting idea! Out of curiosity, I tried to find ad space auctions on ebay but I didn't see anything. Maybe I wasn't searching for the right term.

Ebay > Specialty Services > Web & Computer Services or Ebay > Specialty Services > Web & Computer Services > Other Web & Computer Services should be suitable places to advertise on eBay to start with.

You do however have to be very careful in the wording of your ad to represent the types of advertisers you will or won't allow or you may find you will be committed to some shady sites being advertised in your game.

When I did this a number of years ago I also wrote in some software to give advertisers a sense of how their ads were doing. Some of the things I did which helped sell the ads was to not show the ad until the player clicked on the game as I had built up a bit of a revenue sharing service where other sites could display my games and some of them would try to be tricky by loading my game 10 screens down after a bunch of other ads. I had some pretty good detection built in that could determine who these people were and shut the games down from their sites.

I still think all of this is still possible today although at first you may be selling your ads at $5-$10 at a time until your game gets some significant play counts.

Just as an FYI, when I was doing this before, my most frequent customers from eBay were people trying to sell reseller hosting.

John

On 8/18/2017 at 2:02 PM, bambo said:

It's not allowed by Google policy:

Developers must not attempt to manipulate the placement of any apps in Google Play. This includes, but is not limited to, inflating product ratings, reviews or install counts by illegitimate means, such as fraudulent or incentivised installs, reviews and ratings.

https://play.google.com/intl/en-GB_ALL/about/storelisting-promotional/ratings-reviews-installs/

But I guess it might be just a theory and many developers create such incentives without getting punished by Google in any way :)

You should do this even though its not allowed. I myself have done this and got some good downloads from my apps. Trick here is to do this a week after you upload your game for 1st time. then after you get decent ratings and downloads. Remove it.

6 hours ago, sandy234 said:

You should do this even though its not allowed. I myself have done this and got some good downloads from my apps. Trick here is to do this a week after you upload your game for 1st time. then after you get decent ratings and downloads. Remove it.

Not everyone will be comfortable breaking policies like this and I'm not sure its a great idea to be advising people to do so.

On 18-8-2017 at 10:32 AM, bambo said:

It's not allowed by Google policy:

Developers must not attempt to manipulate the placement of any apps in Google Play. This includes, but is not limited to, inflating product ratings, reviews or install counts by illegitimate means, such as fraudulent or incentivised installs, reviews and ratings.

https://play.google.com/intl/en-GB_ALL/about/storelisting-promotional/ratings-reviews-installs/

But I guess it might be just a theory and many developers create such incentives without getting punished by Google in any way :)

I tried the tactic in my new game Impossible Snake, it had "Give a rating to unlock skins" button on the main menu. But the app got suspended fairly quickly, like within hours. :mellow: Maybe this was because the button is right there visible on the very first screen, but anyway it seems like Google is monitoring this more closely now. I reuploaded using a different package name, the ratings button is removed but the extra snakecolors are still in there, now they are unlocked when you finish the game.

impossible_snake_rating.png

4 hours ago, BdR said:

I tried the tactic in my new game Impossible Snake, it had "Give a rating to unlock skins" button on the main menu. But the app got suspended fairly quickly, like within hours. :mellow: Maybe this was because the button is right there visible on the very first screen, but anyway it seems like Google is monitoring this more closely now. I reuploaded using a different package name, the ratings button is removed but the extra snakecolors are still in there, now they are unlocked when you finish the game.

impossible_snake_rating.png

wat should do is make a popup that ask user to rate your app in turn for a reward. This popup should come after few minutes of play and not immediately. Google doesnt test you app extensively so you have to make sure that its not visible clearly like in your case. Any way even if you get caught your app gets suspended which isnt a big deal since you dont have much downloads anyway..