Article/Book on going from Flash to Html5?

VaragtP

I was wondering if there is any article or book out there that explains what the main differences are, and strategies for developing for Html5 if you have come from the Flash market? There are some differences, but it is kind of hard to piece together everything if you are totally new to this platform.

I would say that Flash offers an IDE which let you create the art and the code in one tool. While for HTML 5 you may use even notepad or vi to make your game. Art can be created with any tool producing images usuable by the web or vector art and some framework to use them. HTML 5 is let's say more open. On the other side, you can't pack all your code and art in packages like you can with Flash. Your code will be always there to be seen by everyone, a lot more visible than with Flash, however don't be fooled, in both cases you can't prevent hackers to really get your code. Even with C / C++ you can de-compile, so don't be too sorry.

What I really like with HTML 5 is that I'm not glued to a single company which could stop makind the plugin which makes my soft run.

Most of the fundamentals between Flash and HTML5 are totally different.

In HTML5 you're working at a much lower level, so you need to build your own sprite system, rendering engine, sound system, keyboard/mouse/touch interface system.

Fortunately it's fun and easy to make these, but, if you don't want to, you can use a good framework like Phaser that will do it for you.

But, generally, making games with HTML5 is a lot easier than with Flash.

That's mainly because JavaScript is class-free, functional, and extremely terse, so you can get a lot done with very little code.

If you're looking for an HTML5 game development book written by someone with a Flash background you can try this one: www.apress.com/programming/javascript/9781430247166

Sorry maybe I should have been more clear. I dont ask about how to actually create the html5 application. More of a guide on the steps after the application is done and what to do. In flash you (me) usually put a sitelocked version on FGL and wait for a sponsor to bid on the game. After that I put in the branding and an ad service in, preferably cpm star. Then the game is spread and I sell sitelocks.

HTML5 doesn't seems to have a market workflow as you present it. Maybe also because so far there isn't so many "small games" like we had with flash. Either people experiment still in HTML 5 or aim for much bigger web apps / games.

Hmm. Almost every html5 game I have looked at seem to be very "small" and lower quality in comparision to Flash games? (With some exceptions like Ubi Land for example)

I would suggest TypeScript and CreateJS (or any other framework with flash-like display list). TypeScript has almost the same concept as the one in AS3 (classes, types etc.). It took for me just several hours to port the match3 game from TypeScript to AS3.