Is html5 ready for music-based games?

RazorSharpFang

I was thinking of making a casual game, tapping notes at the appropriate time, and then playing sound.

They they play a song.

But I've heard that just getting sound to play can be a nightmare. Is html5 ready for this type of game, or is it better to wait until the technology improves? : /

I could make a prototype for you guys to test if you want, but it may take a while.

To be completely honest, my personal opinion is that you should wait a little while longer for technology to advance.

However, there are a variety of pros and cons on creating it now, so it could be just a matter of personal opinion on whether you do it or not.

For one, I've never seen it done and if it were done well and worked well on a variety of different devices it would be huge among publishers and you'd be taking high prices in high quantities. However whether the amount of time and effort to get it working properly on different devices is also a focal point to consider.

That's just my two cents. :)

I would also suggest that you wait a little longer. Like enpu said, WebAudio is the way to go... but with no WebAudio support, it's going to be impossible to do what you want (unless of course you're using a specific wrapper to publish as an App, not a browser-based game).

If it's a browser based game, it's simply too early: on desktop, it won't work on Internet Explorer, so that's 25% of your potential players at the very least. On mobile, it won't work in Android Browser and Safari < 6, so that's about 35% of your potential players. Plus all the "exotic" browsers such as Opera Mini, Blackberry, etc... which all add up. 

In my opinion in a years time you'll be able to do it with no problems (I'm assuming that IE12 and the next Windows Phone will support WebAudio, but you never know).

are you targetting desktop or mobile ?

Mobile, definitely mobile. And also html5, as opposed to native development, in case it wasn't obvious before.

If browser supports Web Audio API, then you are good to go!

http://caniuse.com/audio-api

Urgh, based on the amount of red there, it may not be ready yet... : / Why aren't these browsers implementing these yet? >.<

And IE is still used by 25% of users?! URGH!! D: IE is a shoddy mess in comparison to the other browsers. Yes, it's getting better. Yes, it's starting to ditch the inconsistencies, but it's still behind. The other browsers have lapped it a few times. 

This is rather sad... Maybe I'll make a native app instead. I mean, none of the native APIs are this inconsistent between devices right? Right?

You are joking aren't you? The audio systems on Android and iOS are both pretty different things.

I was referring to different versions of android. I have a loathing for iOS.

then your best option is CocoonJS  :)

Ah, but then I won't be able to license it to html5 gaming portals, OR participate in revenue sharing schemes. *sigh*

Also, kind of a moot point, since I'll be using gamemaker studio, and be able to make native builds anyhow. : /

In my opinion in a years time you'll be able to do it with no problems (I'm assuming that IE12 and the next Windows Phone will support WebAudio, but you never know).

Of course if you think the game's development is gonna take a year... Go for it :) You never know what's around the corner, stuff that isn't widely supported for your game could well be supported by the time it's done.

If you're targeting mobile then probably a cheaper solution would be to go native. I've done some work with webAudio API - and it's super awesome on desktop and even in mobile safari (classic, keyboard, note guessing, sound playing stuff). But beware of the webUiViews - no performance there. 

Ejecta seems the way to go at least for iOS (but android guys are getting closer with Ejecta-X), but it doesn't support webAudio API -> lots of stuff to implement there :/.