Including API with Gamemaker: Studio

Gamible

Hi! I've recently been contacted by somebody who would like to buy a non-exclusive license to my game, so long as I include their API.

Unfortunately, I'm unsure how to do this in Gamemaker: Studio. I've dug up about every forum post about it and they all lead to this guide, however the images are no longer available so I am struggling to understand it.

Here is the instructions I've been given:

5a961059acdcf_ahhhelpme.PNG.1866ab25117156c4aa9478ff2702228f.PNG

I'm also a little confused because I have not received any download for their API. Do I even need to download anything???

It looks like this is an SDK approach to using their API (which is good in lots of ways), so you'll likely have to include a script tag in your page which adds the `cmgGameEvent` global function which you can then call.

I have no idea how GMS works but I'm going to guess it allows you to add custom events to things like buttons when the user clicks so you'd add these function calls in there, which gives their API a chance to operate and serve the ads.

That image is far from an API specification or SDK documentation though i.e. does `cmgGameEvent` trigger an ad to play or just give the API some info about current game state? If it does not play an ad then which function call does play the ad and how do you listen for when it is complete/dismissed?

What they're asking seems totally reasonable (are they offering ad share or is that included in the non-exclusive price? actually, it doesn't matter), but it does sound like you need a bit more information about how to implement their ad-serving model. I also love that they've tried to explain how it works and taken the time to actually write in some rationale for it, it reads like they'd be open to a quick chat about it, but without more formal documentation it does make your implementation job a little tricky, things need to be very specific!

I have limited experience with GMS2 but as pointed in the tutorial - you need to use an extension where you register your JS file and its JS functions so you can call them from GML. Also, I remember I saw some assets on the marketplace that allow you to use JavaScript which could be an alternative/easier way to achieve the same thing?

They may have omitted the SDK intentionally as they can add it themselves I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 4:16 AM, Gamible said:

Hi! I've recently been contacted by somebody who would like to buy a non-exclusive license to my game, so long as I include their API.

Unfortunately, I'm unsure how to do this in Gamemaker: Studio. I've dug up about every forum post about it and they all lead to this guide, however the images are no longer available so I am struggling to understand it.

Here is the instructions I've been given:

5a961059acdcf_ahhhelpme.PNG.1866ab25117156c4aa9478ff2702228f.PNG

I'm also a little confused because I have not received any download for their API. Do I even need to download anything???

I've sent you a PM there is some information missing and I cannot help you directly.

17 hours ago, Alex2 said:

I can only say that some sponsors avoid dealing with games made in GameMaker in terms of licensing.

Here's the requirement I came across:

Usually publishers that do this use your source code and skin the game for publishing/licensing themselves, some publishers don't mind GameMaker or Construct or other game engines.