Play Link: Blob'n Pop

preview1.thumb.png.314232de634b709b9ef64706f1ff24e9.png

--------------------
UPDATE March 19, 2018:
We have added an Endless Mode to the game, as was suggested in the replies below!
--------------------

Hey guys, I would like to show you my newest Phaser 3 game!

The gameplay takes a casual and funny approach – enter one of the three unique worlds and pop bubbles for the highest score! :)

Art Style:

For the first time I have a game where all pictures were drawn specifically for this game! I hope the worlds and their animated surroundings are enjoyable to play.

Gameplay:

• Pop the bubbles, but don't touch the forbidden color!
  • Get combo points by popping the same color 3x in a row.
  • Get enough points and avdance through 3 unique worlds with funny distractions

Features:

• Short Tutorial
  • 3 Unique Worlds With 3 Levels Each
  • Levels Become Increasingly Difficult
  • Your Best Score and Your Last Score
  • Simple Click/Touch Inputs
  • Mobile Optimized!

I hope you like the game! I created it with Phaser 3, if you find a bug or problem, please let me know. Also any feedback is much appreciated!

Hi @jamespierce ,

The colors and gradients that you have chosen for the graphics are perfect, and the design is very clean. In this aspect I would only suggest 3 things:
1) Add some transparency to the bubbles and some simple animation.
2) The color red and pink are sometimes difficult to distinguish.
3) On the first screen it would lower the button a little more and leave more space at the top.

About the gameplay: At least in my case I was not sure the goal of the game. Looking at the screen I only knew what color was forbidden, that there was a timer and that I had to blow bubbles, but I did not know how many bubbles or how many points I had to make to pass the level before lose the game.

Taking advantage of the game's time counter, you could add a endless mode in which the "combos" will add time to the counter. I think it would be interesting.

There is a small problem when you lose: when you explode a bubble of the forbidden color and it is above the "retry" button, the game restarts immediately. A small pause would avoid this annoyance.

I think the game has some ingredients that can be attractive to a certain audience (casual players).

Regards.

P.S.: I hate the snowman !! :D

Wow, such a good feedback! I am very grateful. I went ahead and already added all the fixes you've suggested :D The game really improved, especially with the bubble animations. Below, I'm going to comment to each of your statements individually.

1 hour ago, onlycape said:

The colors and gradients that you have chosen for the graphics are perfect, and the design is very clean.

Thank you so much!

1) Add some transparency to the bubbles and some simple animation.
2) The color red and pink are sometimes difficult to distinguish.
3) On the first screen it would lower the button a little more and leave more space at the top.

1) Done, looks really cool now! I added a rotation & wobble animation to each bubble. And with the transparency the fishes or snowflakes shimmer through, it really improved the overall presentation!
2) Changed the sprites and hopefully red and pink are now easy to differentiate.
3) Done!

About the gameplay: At least in my case I was not sure the goal of the game. Looking at the screen I only knew what color was forbidden, that there was a timer and that I had to blow bubbles, but I did not know how many bubbles or how many points I had to make to pass the level before lose the game.

I totally forgot about this! I've added the required score to the intro screen so it is clear now which score you must reach. Thanks for pointing it out!

There is a small problem when you lose: when you explode a bubble of the forbidden color and it is above the "retry" button, the game restarts immediately. A small pause would avoid this annoyance.

Can't believe you found this. Fixed!

Taking advantage of the game's time counter, you could add a endless mode in which the "combos" will add time to the counter. I think it would be interesting.

The first concept for the game was exactly this endless mode in face. But I felt like for a casual game, you don't want to be stuck in it forever. You wanna have a goal that is short & sweet and get the satisfaction of "finishing the game". However, you are right it could be a great separate mode! In the level selection, there could be an endless mode. And the endless mode would pick a random map! That should be easy to integrate with what the current structure of the game.

P.S.: I hate the snowman !! :D

Haha he just wants to say hi :D

How fast!
Now the game seems more alive and visually has won many points.

In the theme of sound, I would use three sounds for the bubbles, depending on whether it is the first, second or third bubble of the combo, and a fourth sound for the completion of the combo. And two more sounds for the new level screen and the game over. If the game performs well, I would avoid silences with some environmental loop (wind in the desert world, water in the water world, ...), and perhaps some background music.

On the other hand, why limit the combos to 3 bubbles ... If you ever played "bejeweled 3" you'll know what I mean. 

Congratulations, it's going well.

Hi,
I got this error on Chrome, Windows 10

Uncaught TypeError: this.ctx.getTargetScore is not a function
    at LevelIntro.create (LevelIntro.js:1)
    at new LevelIntro (LevelIntro.js:1)
    at initialize.TutorialScene.create (tutorial.js:1)
    at initialize.create (phaser.min.js:1)
    at initialize.bootScene (phaser.min.js:1)
    at initialize.start (phaser.min.js:1)
    at initialize.start (phaser.min.js:1)
    at initialize.MenuScene.goTutorial (menu.js:1)
    at initialize.MenuScene.clickPlay (menu.js:1)
    at initialize.<anonymous> (Helper.js:1)

1 hour ago, Umz said:

I got this error on Chrome, Windows 10

That is very unfortunate, I forgot to test the Tutorial when I uploaded the last update :( But it is fixed now! Was a really dumb and little thing.

I was in a restaurant with friends and wanted to show them the game... and it didn't work *facepalm*... and then I saw your message notification on my phone's Email. Thanks a ton for pointing it out! I wish I could have fixed it the second I saw it and shorten the span of embarrassment.

3 hours ago, onlycape said:

Now the game seems more alive and visually has won many points.

Congratulations, it's going well.

Thank you so much! It's thanks to your valuable feedback :)

In the theme of sound, I would use three sounds for the bubbles, depending on whether it is the first, second or third bubble of the combo, and a fourth sound for the completion of the combo. And two more sounds for the new level screen and the game over. If the game performs well, I would avoid silences with some environmental loop (wind in the desert world, water in the water world, ...), and perhaps some background music.

I like your ideas for the sound effects, I didn't think about it that detailed to be honest. I am still looking for audio files that we can use - it's hard finding audio that we can use in games without worrying about licencing conflicts. Maybe I'll have to buy the sounds but I am tempted to try and create them myself. All the visual art was already created specifically for this game, why not keep it unique all the way to the end!

On the other hand, why limit the combos to 3 bubbles ... If you ever played "bejeweled 3" you'll know what I mean. 

One issue I ran into was balancing the points. If the chain increases beyond 3, you quickly realize you get more points letting bubbles drop to the floor if you can increase the combo chain. I guess one could argue that is a good thing! But intuitively, the gameplay should be about preventing any bubbles from touching the bottom - it feels kinda "wrong" if dropping bubbles is actually worth it. The bubbles are everything in this game, we must not let them touch the bottom! :D