Android Apps, Where Should a Keystore File Be Stored?

EpicKingdom_

7 hours ago, bruno_ said:

Just make sure you don't publish it with your app and that the key won't go to any public location.

So when I build an APK file, the keystore file should NOT be in the app folder? Otherwise, it will package it into the APK file?

15 hours ago, EpicKingdom_ said:

So when I build an APK file, the keystore file should NOT be in the app folder? Otherwise, it will package it into the APK file?

It depends on how you compile or what application you use.

After you compile you can open the APK with 7-zip or winzip, and see if its there. If it is, you shouldn't publish it.

I don't recommend to put the key in the app folder, because you need to use the same key to all your apps, for that reason the app folder is not the best place.

8 hours ago, bruno_ said:

After you compile you can open the APK with 7-zip or winzip, and see if its there. If it is, you shouldn't publish it.

Thank you for this information, I just checked the APK file and there was no keyfile in it. I was worried that I was packaging my keyfile.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:06 PM, bruno_ said:

I don't recommend to put the key in the app folder, because you need to use the same key to all your apps, for that reason the app folder is not the best place.

You don't have to use same key to all your apps. You can have different keys for each app, but when you want to update your app, you need to use the same key for your new apk that you used for the first one.