State of the market

spooky_turnip

Hey guys, first time poster here I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are on FB IG. I haven't come across a lot of information from indie devs, just some success stories from well established brands such as FRVR. Is it a viable platform or are Indies getting buried by studios who have massive funds to sink into UA. Have any of you here had any success with IG? 

• 2 months later...

Hello @spooky_turnip.

I'm somewhat clueless about it too, but still searching for information.
This post shed some light to me, though it also made me feel very bad about their platform, specially knowing that an Apple Developer account is quite heavy for my budget + the apple product complications they mentioned... Wouldn't it be easier if they just included this Apple Developer Team ID thing as a plus only for folks who are really targeting iOS?

(Note: I hope someone with more knowledge about the subject refutes this if it's wrong!)

I'll try to keep updating this thread as soon as I learn anything interesting. 

Honestly, I'm completely turned down.

@128p yes opt-in for iOS seems like a reasonable option, especially initially.  I'd imagine from FB's perspective they'd prefer to present their blue app as a consistent platform / experience that transcends device?  E.g. it'd be a bit odd if some features were available everywhere except when the user picks up their iPhone?  Plus politics ... Apple sure like their rake, so given the lack of opt-out this is an unsurprising (if frustrating) requirement.  Questions to consider are ... how are you imagining monetizing your game, and how does FB help you do that in ways that can't be achieved by going to individual platforms directly?  The $100 gift to Apple probably shouldn't be the barrier.

The Apple Team ID is a requirement from Apple as stated here: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/games/instant-games/faq#faq_2080054045606593 You need only one per business.
Instant Games is meant to offer a similar experience to players no matter the surface they use to play, that is why developers cannot target a particular subset of surfaces.
As for success on the platform, I invite you to read this post from the community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/instantgamedevelopers/permalink/1125949884267836/

13 hours ago, b10b said:

@128p yes opt-in for iOS seems like a reasonable option, especially initially.  I'd imagine from FB's perspective they'd prefer to present their blue app as a consistent platform / experience that transcends device?  E.g. it'd be a bit odd if some features were available everywhere except when the user picks up their iPhone?  Plus politics ... Apple sure like their rake, so given the lack of opt-out this is an unsurprising (if frustrating) requirement.  Questions to consider are ... how are you imagining monetizing your game, and how does FB help you do that in ways that can't be achieved by going to individual platforms directly?  The $100 gift to Apple probably shouldn't be the barrier.

It makes total sense when you look at it this way. Problem being, by doing some pretty quick math here I'd have to pay about $240 USD in total  (btw that is R$1000 BRL my country's currency, terribly expensive!) the extra $140 bucks there is because it would be necessary to buy a really cheap old iPhone just to setup two step verification. Handing off $240 bucks for a solo developer in my budget is like a shot in the dark. 

Question, would I do it if I those resources available? Undoubtedly! But for a still maturing platform I'd rather think twice before stepping in.

@Noel: Good point Noel, it's a one time fee, that's refreshing.

@b10b: Stock Car Hero looks incredible! You guys did a pretty good job there, congrats! :)

• 1 month later...