MTB Hero

b10b

Being from the Pacific North West we are lucky to have some epic Mountain Biking on our doorsteps!  To celebrate the sport we have just released ""MTB HERO" a pseudo-3D obstacle racer.

icon256.png.ea80b37aa78aa7940dd6625fe2265e7c.png

Play for free in your browser (no adverts): https://b10b.com/mtbhero/

"Choose your hero and compete across 3 courses in the Mountain Biking downhill event. Steer between obstacles, collect boosts & improve your times. Will you win a Gold Medal?"

screenshot_avatar.png.d6247047b21c53f2ecf53cffe2fdbb24.pngscreenshot_game1.png.9129248e3dd2889e66efbd7cf6db643c.png

Technical:

Like our other games MTB HERO was developed with Haxe + awe6 + CreateJS and designed to run on any device at ~30fps.  MTB HERO is based on our previous SLALOM HERO game and weighs in at less than 4MB.

Commercial:

MTB HERO is available to license (on a non-exclusive basis) from our website: https://b10b.com

awesome style and effects! i find the game a bit difficult though due to the low camera positioning, on the expert track the obstacles pop way to quick and hidden by the character on her bike making it more a reflex game than a careful trajectory optimization contrary to your games with the cars.

And you can't jump!!!!!!! WHAT???? a mtb game and no bumps on the trail? Ok it would be more a bmx game. ;)

Yes, quite different to the car games and "expert" mode is hard-by-design (just out of reach until perfection).

1 hour ago, totor said:

And you can't jump!!!!!!! WHAT????

Jumps ... well .. irl I don't jump.  Any more.  Still hurts.  So that might influence some artisitc direction?  It's a very valid point though and jumping would be a cool feature - I just haven't figured it out.  Help me out, how should this work exactly?  Jump initiated as a scenery-item or as a user-input (considering single-touch)?  Make gates jumpable without penalty?  Swap some gates to jump sections instead?  Left-right moveable in the air?

i played the game only on laptop so can't say for single-touch control but yeah jump on scenery-item more as a wow effect or as gate replacement like a ramp to jump over a stream or when you come with speed over a curvy little hill - instead of popping a gate ;)

Still can't beat the expert mode even with all capacity maxed out, always hit by a gate, that seems beyond my reflex ability. ;) Speaking of capacity it's not very clear (for me) what effect have boost and power.

If i may ask, it would be awesome to have a free ride mode but i don't know if your engine can generate a ride on the go.

Maybe one way of handling jumps is letting the player do a little bit of a trick move when they have air time? Perhaps giving some extra "bonus" for doing so. Bonus to provide some incentive (note since you are time based, that would need some further thought on what the bonus does or if an extra point system is added ... or perhaps it adds some "speed up"). But also, if timing isn't right on the jump, there is a "wipeout".

I double quote that because a wipeout could be treated much like running into a barrier.

I agree with totor though. I thought there would be jumping.

I did 54.10 the first race after I maxed out I think. That was a fluke :)  Although I can do 55's pretty consistently. The trick is looking ahead, pretty much ignoring the current gate. Move as little as possible, but try to get back to the middle.

Tried out some of the other (driving) games too. This is a lot better use of the engine, imo.

As someone who doesnt like bikes, this gameis quite interesting, because its not too passive like many browser games are. 

im impressed by the fact that my browser has no lags at all despite going through the scene/map so fast? how did you make it?

what id change:

- first races could be MUCH harder though maybe except first one, can you even lose? :P

- i have 1900x1020 monitor and it goes to fullscreen automatically and the graphics is all stretched, looks weird

- green color scheme is not my type :) and there you have pixelated biker

but really good game and optimized :) perhaps update it few times and add lobby & multiplayer & ladderS?