How manipulate time without user cheat?

hilty

Hi All,

I am thinking of putting a daily bonus system in one of my games. However, without a backend to check the time, the only alternative would be to use the time on the user's device, which would allow him to change the time to get the prizes faster. I would like to know if there is a way for me to have access to the correct time without the user being able to cheat and without a backend.

I wanted to use a service like this (API):
https://openweathermap.org/

But I haven't found any api that provides me with the correct time for me to check using AJAX, for example.

Do any of you know a solution to this problem?
(Remembering that I don't have a server of my own)

Cheers,

Now I won't even have to change the time :)

I can just catch the request... Slightly more trouble upfront (fake the nameserver,  serve response), but then I can really get going.
But I guess it would prevent the average user from cheating.

Couldn't you just save the last used time, and see if it magically decreases... The user is going to corrrect the time again, and if they start up the game, just remove the bonus?

Edited by Milton

On 2/2/2020 at 2:47 AM, Milton said:

Couldn't you just save the last used time, and see if it magically decreases... The user is going to corrrect the time again, and if they start up the game, just remove the bonus?

Yes, this is the better route imo (any remote data can be spoofed too, it is only remote validation that ~can't).  I would serialise the "days" that have been redeemed against the prizes that were redeemed.  A quick review of the data could reveal any inconsistencies and a punishment / reset can be issued if detected.

All this being said ... if the player chooses to muck around with their clock to boost their game stats ... maybe let them and post their "hack" on YouTube ... enjoy the referrals and return to designing compelling game mechanics that reward play / skill!