[Phaser] Bi-Weekly Game Projects - Luis Felipe Ocampo

Luis Felipe

Hey everyone. I'm really inspired by everyone's work here, and I gotta say, Thomas' (lessmilk) weekly games project is definitely the best way to learn, I have had this same "practice makes perfect" experience in art. So I've decided to take on a similar challenge. I DO NOT intend to rip Thomas' idea at all or take credit for it, I simply find that this is also a great way to learn and share one's progress. Feedback has always been a key aspect for me.

So onto actual gaming! this thread'll be my digital game sketchbook :) I really appreciate constructive criticism.

Here's the first game I've made, I also made the art, I have very little pixel art skills as it's not too much in my domain, hopefully I'll get better at it as well

Game 002: 23.3.2014 (Heavily inspired from Nidhogg)

002_screenshot.jpg

Game 001: 10.3.14

game_screenshot.png

This is awesome, congratulation on starting this crazy challenge! ;-)

My quick feedback on your first game:

- I really love your pixel art and animations

- You should make the first few wave at lot slower to fall, so I can have time to understand what is happening

- Having a way to restart the game is very important I think, and it's only a few lines of code so you should do it

It's an impressive start, good luck with your project!

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys! :)

@Mike, it's true, any form of creation is good!

@lessmilk, merci! Great feedback :) I'll definitely add a restart button and try to handle incrementing bomb falling speed. So that at the begining as you said it wont be full bomb-falling madness. And thank you for the awesome inspiration you give all of us as well, great project Thomas! :D

@turnA, thanks! will try to learn more about pixel art, I've just fallen in love with Towerfall's style :P You're very right! I'll add a restart button

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Here's game #2 :) Learned a lot of stuff, got too much into the graphics and compromised time I could have spent coding better and making the gameplay better. This should be the most important thing, so lesson learnt! Tell me what you think! If anyone's interested, I could upload a video showing the level design process.

002_screenshot.jpg

Great stuff!

That first game is hardcore. Nice and simple, but as has been said, it should maybe start out a little slower.

The second game looks amazing. Can easily see this becoming a full game.

A few things for the second game:

• If you play long enough the fog scrolls by completely
  • It is difficult to see when the enemy attacks
  • Attacks should also have knock back
  • Lastly, and this might just be me, but I think being able to jump over the guy would add some more strategy

Anyways, good work. Enjoyed playing the games. Looking forward to more tutorials and games.

Interesting second game here, remind me to Nidhog :)

My feedback:

- Player/Enemy life/health is not apparent the first time I play (I just win/lose without knowing why). Maybe change the life text to health bar (yellowish for player and pinkish for enemy)?

- I can hold A and the attack animation stop in the middle (while I can still move the character). Maybe return the attack animation to normal/idle animation after 1 second?

- Like Lonan said, I think it will be really fun (and funny) to give knock back effect when slashing the enemy. It will give player feedback that their attack is successful or not.

Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback! Yes the game was heavily inspired on Nidhogg, so much that I spent more time trying to emulate the graphics and animations rather than focusing on actual game logic, gameplay etc :( 

All the feedback given is excellent, I will definitely have these points all in mind to really start creating playable and enjoyable games.

Thank you so much @Lonan and @turnA :D

Awesome job Luis :) Again, I really love the artwork of your game. It is superbly done :)

One thing to note, the "Press R to Restart" text is really small. I thought it was "Press A to Restart" so I was mashing A like a mad man.

Also, it seems hard to hit the other player. I was mashing A and could never hit the other guy. Are there some tips you have to win? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...