[cocos2d] Caste Break

Bruno Assarisse

Hey, everyone

Just released an alpha version of the game I'm making with cocos2d-html5 (I guess I'm one of the few here?).

It's a tower defense using some of the original Game Boy limitations. Basically, you create a unit by choosing its type (attack or support) and then its starting tribe. When you upgrade, you choose in which tribe that unit will be trained. Depending on the combinations you make, the unit may change or simply increase its stats.

I'm looking for some feedback specially on the HUD. I had a hard time organizing the icons and the numbers and everything, but, in the end, I'm not satisfied. I almost entirely compelled to change everything and increase the base resolution and the color palette, but I don't know if it's worth it. What do you guys think?

Screenshots

post-4935-0-76080800-1420225066.pngpost-4935-0-81346300-1420225067.pngpost-4935-0-50927400-1420225069.pngpost-4935-0-04059200-1420225071.pngpost-4935-0-58143000-1420225072.png

Links:
Game Jolt: http://gamejolt.com/games/strategy-sim/caste-break/24274/
If you use mobile: http://bassarisse.com/webgames/castebreak/

Also, there's a post on my blog if you guys are interested in some more details:
http://bassarisse.com/2014/03/26/caste-break-alpha-version/

EDITED (2015-01-02):

The game is now finished!

Cool games! Love the music and design here.

I think you don't have problem with the interface, it work better than I think it would. Maybe several icon/mechanism need more explanation, but nothing that's can't be experimented over by user.

Since the game have quite unique screen size ratio, I think it will be hard sell for mobile gamer (unless maybe for Q5/Q10 user that have square screen too). Where do you think to publish/sell it once it finished?

Thanks for trying it  :)

I haven't thought about how to sell it. Actually, I'm not convinced that the game it's "sellable quality" =/

Just figured that I'd publish on html5 sections of portals like Kongregate, Newgrounds, maybe Clay.io, to test the waters, besides Game Jolt.

And I do want to try distributing with CocoonJS, and that's also one of the reasons I wanted to change the resolution, so the game doesn't contains (too much) black borders.

For starters, let me say that I love the visuals, very nice work!

The game itself is pretty fun, I didn't like the fact that the enemy started to spawn instantly as I didn't understand at first how the mechanics of placing a unit worked, so I lost some advantage there. Otherwise, once I got the hang of it it was very fun. Of course I assume the game is made for tower defence lovers :)

As for the UI, I felt the level progress in percentage distracted me a bit, maybe it could simply be a 1px tall bar that fills horizontally as the game progresses, so visually the player will know if the wave is almost over or not. (like in someracing games where a small arrow represents the course progression along a line)

Otherwise it was super solid and fun, great work!

• 9 months later...