Phaser To Desktop Application Beta

jyapayne

• 3 months later...

This is seriously awesome.

It has a lot of room for improvement too, which is good.

To start, is there any way to shrink down the Windows executable? 60MB for a starter is pretty huge. (Blame nodekit, I know, but is there a smaller/lighter version of nodekit we can use?)

You're both very welcome :)

@ashes999 There isn't any way that I know of to shrink down the exe size. This is due to nodewebkit's base size. I've looked into trying to make a smaller version of it, but it's super complicated and the author of nodewebkit has done great work to minimize the size of the exe already; only compiling what is necessary from webkit. 

I'm in New Zealand currently, which is why I haven't been updating this app. I wanted to add a way to get the new versions of nodewebkit automatically, so that they can just be updated via the click of a button, but internet here is really crappy and to upload all 4 versions takes a lot of bandwidth. It would be really awesome if there was a way to minify the exe size somehow.

• 6 months later...

@ashes999 If you were still concerned about exe size (it's been a while, I know) I've updated my application to have a compression setting that can get it down to about 27 MB.

Back in Canada now and I've been updating this application like crazy. It's still really good for creating a standalone phaser app.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is truly fantastic, thanks so much!

Had a quick question, I'm trying to build for OSX and noticing that everything works great except for SFX and music. I couldn't find anything in the issues or docs about this. Is there an obvious flag or something I'm missing?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

• 1 month later...

jyapayne, thanks again so much for your support - this app has me really excited to make some standalone executables with Phaser. 

I had a question maybe you can shed some light on, although admittedly, it is kind of a long shot. I'm wondering if I could submit a Phaser game, perhaps leveraging web2exe to ID@Xbox, Xbox One's independent publishing portal. Does anyone here have any experience with that (or with comparable programs for Playstation 4, Wii U, etc.), with or without Phaser? 

ChubbRck, unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. I don't have experience making games for the XBone.

WombatTurkey, it's the same concept. It uses NW.js (which uses V8) behind the scenes and just provides a GUI to package it up. It also will replace the default NW.js icon with your project icon, and some other fancy things like that.

• 1 month later...

My game works fine when I compile it with Brackets, but the web2exe result only runs for a split second before quitting. Is there anything really obvious that I might be missing when setting up? I'm new to anything web development-related.