Scooby Doo: Funfair Freak-out

swingpants

post-8-0-74900000-1374522621.jpg

Landing Page.

post-8-0-90519700-1374522648.jpg

Screen Shot - Level: "This town ain't big enough"

Scooby Doo Funfair Freak-out is a platform puzzler for desktop, tablet and moblle. Scooby and the gang have chanced upon an abandoned funfair (yes, another one). In the hypnotist tent Scooby, Shaggy, Velma, Fred and Daphne are all hypnotised. It is your job to try and steer the characters through the funfair safely by using the only control you have. Stop. Falling barrels, big wheels, boxing gloves, cactii, switches, collapsing platforms and then the baddies: the zombie, the werewolf and the ghost.

The game has been built from the ground up. To work on lower spec devices I developed a physics system based on line to line intersections. The rendering is entirely in DOM. DOM you say? A large part of the audience use IE7 & 8 - after benchmarking multiple render methods we found that DOM could deliver what we wanted across all of the target devices. Web Audio API was implemented via Howler JS - but to deliver multi channel audio on desktop we fall back to Soundmanager2 (inc the Flash option). Sound sprites were used when nothing else would suffice.

There are 3 zones - Funfair, Rollercoaster and Ghost Train - with 10 levels in each. The baddie must be caught in the last level for each zone.

Collectables were placed differently for each character requiring different solutions. This gives us 150 levels!!!

With all of this, the game weight was kept to less than 5mb. PNG8 is your friend.  :)

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/games/scooby-doo-game

Hosted on the CBBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/games/

Further HTML5 goodies for younger kids on the CBeebies site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/games/   [Many coded by patrons of this forum  :)  ]

Enjoy,

Jon

@swingpants

post-8-0-74900000-1374522621.jpg

post-8-0-90519700-1374522648.jpg

Very cool!

One small nit-pick is some folks have Windows 8 hybrids that both have touch and a keyboard/trackpad. A lot of games do this, but it looks like it detects if touch is available and *only* uses touch events if it is (mouse events don't work). Sometimes I just want to play with the trackpad :)

Yes - been moving my thoughts to the hybrids and what gaming might look like to best utilise the features.

For accessibility reasons I have made the whole game playable from menu to action via the space bar - which kind of helps.

When working on multiple platforms there are always compromises  - or should I call them creative constraints.?

I am looking forward to the dual input experiences - some new opportunities there.

This was wonderful. Maybe it's just because I have a soft spot for Scooby-Doo, but it really was enjoyable. Bravo for doing it and doing it well. So often games made after the intellectual property of others are hollow shells of the original idea, but this looks like you really got the spirit behind the characters. Thanks for such an enjoyable play.