Documented steps on getting a Phaser game on Steam

Raicuparta

After getting some interest here, I started documenting the steps required to get my Phaser game on Steam:

Original thread:

Recently, my game Curvatron (made with Phaser) got greenlit on Steam, which means it will be available on that store soon. For what I gathered, there doesn't seem to be any other Phaser game on Steam right now, but I'm sure some of you are interested in doing this eventually. If there is any interest, I could document my steps toward getting the game there, including stuff like getting on Greenlight, getting greenlit, implementing the Steamworks API with stuff like achievements andleaderboards, etc. Would you be interested in this?

The poll won't let me vote for some reason (when I submit my vote it says "you're not allowed to vote!"). But I'd definitely love the tech details on wrapping the game for distribution on multiple platforms with integration into Steam (I'm assuming you wrapped it for Windows and Mac).

Wrapping it for Windows, Mac, and Linux seems to be a no-brainer with NWJS or electron. But I actually haven't started integrating with Steam services, as I only recently got access to the Steam control panel.

Since there seems to be interest, I've started writing it. I guess I shouldn't have really said this would be a "guide", as it will be more of a devlog for me to document the stuff we did and the changes we made to the game to get it on Steam. Some of it may be of use to our people, but some of it may be a bit specific to our game. Right now I've only written a bit about the Greenlight process to get me started, so It may not be very interesting for most people. The next parts will focus more on the actual game, but the Steam integration stuff (which seems to be what everyone's interested about) will only come in part 3 or after that, since I haven't even started doing that.

I already published the first part, but it's really just an introduction and a few tips about Greenlight, not a lot of information on it (because, as Rich said, there's not a lot to be said that people don't already know):

Getting a Phaser Game on Steam Part 1 - Greenlight

I'm not a native English speaker and didn't really have time to proofread this, so if you find any mistakes, please let me know. The next parts will have more actual content and I'll try to get someone to help me proofread.

I'll make a new post when I post the next part.

• 4 weeks later...

I've written two more posts, at least the third one should be interesting for a few people

The fourth one should be about using Greenworks to get the Steam features working.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/07/2016 at 6:18 PM, Jaffar said:

Thanks for what yu posted so far but I assume you've given up on this since Part 5 (alluded to in Part 4) never came out and its now almost Aug '16?

Sorry for the late response. Yes, I ended up not working on Part 5, I should probably edit that out. Is there anything in particular you'd like to read about?

12 hours ago, Raicuparta said:

Sorry for the late response. Yes, I ended up not working on Part 5, I should probably edit that out. Is there anything in particular you'd like to read about?

No, not really, I just like to get as much of a jump on learning things like this as I can. As I'm sure you know it can be real hard and very frustrating getting answers on a lot of dev stuff. Nothing worse than figuring out most of something and getting stuck at the end :-)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, farhan said:

Is there any updated guide? I believe there is no greenlight anymore, anyone can sell their games right away?

Is there a new guide for the latest steam?

Not from me, at least. And I don't plan on updating this guide any time soon, since I haven't published a game again since this one.
That part of the process should be pretty straight forward and documented in many places, though. And most of the stuff about integrating with Steamworks should still work in a very similar way, just with newer versions of the tools.