Babylon.js vs. Three.js

bbmario

It probably depends on what you intend to do exactly ...

BabylonJS is really good at doing easily animated things (not only games) with not many lines of code. It embeds the render loop management and takes care about the GC behavior.

The community is very reactive and the common shared tool called the playground (aka PG) is the place where people help the others and where everyone can learn by the concrete examples how to use the BJS features.

The same difference between angular.js and react. Or TypeScript and Babel. Or Spring and JavaEE. I can go on and on.

The differences are the paradigms, ease of use, features, support, update frequency. All in all, choose what's good for you.

But! Give us your use case, and we will convince you why Babylon is better :-) 

yep... BJS motto is "simple and powerful"

but I would add that, compared to threejs, everything is integrated as well in the framework (shaders, render loop, collisions, cameras, GUI controls, plugins to physics engine, exporters/importers, etc but also API documentation + tutos + demos + video courses), as well in the community (this forum), as well in the common tools (PGCYOSsandbox or material editor)

Note that this question has been debated before here : http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/14080-choosing-game-engineframework/

Not only that, there is something called a search engine.  I got a lot of hits using this threads title that seem unbiased.  Here is one http://noeticforce.com/best-3d-javascript-game-engines-frameworks-webgl-html5 .  I do not understand why this is being asked here.  

Morphing just seems to be just mission creep of this thread.  I am able to morph for over a year.  Am now just preparing the way to make it practical for myself by being able to morph with a skeleton at the same time, whether skinning on GPU or CPU.  

Botton line:  who cares?

There are alot of examples on the documentation side, maybe this here covers some of your mentioned points: http://doc.babylonjs.com/tutorials/How_to_dynamically_morph_a_mesh

If you search this forum here you can find alot more links to playgrounds. I think I have heard they work on a searchable playground database, too, but don't pin me down on that :P

And for everything else that you cant find with the doc side, the forum or with google, you can always ask here. And if it's possible you will probably get an answer very fast. And if it's not possible you still have a change that the folks here make it possible! :D

Yep, we're working on making the 20K+ playground samples (!!!) searchable by indexing them. This is still work in progress but we're pretty confident. But it's true that Three.js got also a great and vibrant community and has ton of samples to start with. It's the priviledge of being the first and oldest WebGL framework. ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Here is one http://noeticforce.com/best-3d-javascript-game-engines-frameworks-webgl-html5

Morphing just seems to be just mission creep of this thread.  I am able to morph for over a year.  Am now just preparing the way to make it practical for myself by being able to morph with a skeleton at the same time, whether skinning on GPU or CPU.  

Botton line:  who cares?

Actually that article you linked was the one that lead me to start my WebGL and game engine exploration with BJS.

I do care about morphs and I do believe more people would in the future. Shape keys or mesh morphs are substantially different from bone animation. It allows you create complex and detailed animations where you would otherwise require too many bones. A single morph shape allows you to move vertices in unlimited different directions whereas a single bone only allows you to move vertices in one direction or orientation.

Didn't you create some working morphs for BJS as an extension a while ago? It was a flying table cloth. I've been playing around with your morph extension. The one that was released was version 1.1. But you mentioned version 1.2 was in the works if I'm not mistaken. I would love to try that. I discovered that morph and skeleton doesn't work together before seeing you mention something about trying to get morph and skeleton working at the same time? I have created a case demo of the issue I am experiencing and hopefully it would point you in the right direction. Seems like it might be as easy fix with the TOB exporter to get the right values. Seems to be missing one more translation. I'll create a new topic as I have another related to skeletal animation issue to discuss. Might be related.

Edit: Here's the topic I created: http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/18886-skeletal-animation-picking-info-and-morph-shapes/

It's the priviledge of being the first and oldest WebGL framework. ;-)

While Three.js is a WebGL framework, it is not enough of a game engine to have it listed as one of the subforums of this site?

• 1 year later...
On 11/2/2015 at 0:30 AM, RaananW said:

The same difference between angular.js and react. Or TypeScript and Babel. Or Spring and JavaEE. I can go on and on.

The differences are the paradigms, ease of use, features, support, update frequency. All in all, choose what's good for you.

But! Give us your use case, and we will convince you why Babylon is better :-) 

I want to implement morphing with morphTarget using babylon like three.js

go this link

https://threejs.org/examples/?q=human#webgl_morphtargets_human

Is this poosible in babylon?? @RaananW @Deltakosh @davrous