Babylon.js vs. Three.js

bbmario

Hm, when Firefox 51 and Chrome 56 become widely used the some parts of it will break. A need  of code somewhere that hooks in when WebGL 2.0 is called. (Okay, in few months) So currently its limited to people with Autoupdate on their Browsers. They remove half of the Code in WebGL 2.0 this is like javascript if you call a function with arguments myFunction("do something") without declaring it. Your compiler will put you an error.  undef.

We are also already at IndexedDB v2 just saying ....:)

We will see, i dont care, i know how to fix it. Nevermind

2 hours ago, Nabroski said:

babylonjs is falling into pieces :/ becourse lack of webgl 2.0 support. this makes me sad. very very sad. it was a great engine. its a fast rotation world Le roi est mort, vive le roi

Now, that's a hell of a statement... I wonder where it is coming from. And it is making me sad. very very sad.

As usual this thread is going in 2 different directions, webGL2 and morphing.  For webGL2, if the vertex shader requires a re-write, remember now would be a good time to switch to uniform buffers.  This would both cut down on gl calls & likely fix the iOS restriction on the # of uniforms (assuming Apple implements webGL2 any time soon).  I have learned to live with 23 bones, by using shape keys for fingers, facial expressions / speech / eye blinks, breasts, & muscles.  Segway in progress.

For morphing, I have a MakeHuman / Blender / Tower of Babel / QueuedInterpolation extension workflow pipeline using Blender shape keys.  You do not really need MakeHuman though.  The only demos that I have got re-published are: Flying Carpet, Multi-key Groups, and Finger Shape Keys.  I had a couple weeks of system problems, so the Human Emotions demo & one other demo never got (re-)published.  Am keeping speech for myself.

Now that my recent problems have gotten fixed, I am working much more directly on the application(s) that I came here for in the first place.  I am now good enough, and so is BJS.  There are some major things that got put in between when I started & 2.5, that make what I want to do much more possible. I could not believe how much one little noticed thing which no one uses impacts me.  Upshot is I do not have time to spare to document QI until probably 2nd quarter.

For my own curiosity, what is the main difference in the vertex shader (in simple words) between WebGL 1 and 2 what implies some refactor related to the geometry ?

Does it mean that all the BJS meshes are to be re-coded at the geometry or VertexData class level ? and does it impact the updatable/morphable meshes (like all the parametric shapes) ?

I just want to say: That most of the browsers i got, are still experimental. Some functionality (beyond webgl) inst implemented yet.
Babylonjs works mainly on my machine, in some very special cases,  it breaks.

But, if you scroll through bugreport thread, this is nothing knew, you always have to tweak the knobs. Web Audio as example 2 years old, still buggy as hell, (and i dont mean the edge browser (but it sucks at edge at most, yes :) Their will be some time as buffer for experimenting.

Merry Christmas all!   

2 hours ago, adam said:

Not simple words, but useful:

https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/specs/2.0/

This entire spec is geared toward actual implementer s of webGL in browsers.  True, they describe differences to 1.0, but this pretty unreadable for the average developer.  Would recommend reading the OpenGL ES 3.0.4 spec, which is what WebGL is based on.  Even if you never need to work at the api level, you will be able to understand much more of the BJS code.

Hey! Hey!

With @Sebavan we added the initial support for WebGL2.

Now all shaders are automatically converted to WebGL2 and fallback are in place.

This is completely transparent for developers. Please feel free to report any issue you can find!

Feature wise there is no change for now but we are now ready to add support for any webgl2 feature :)

• 1 month later...
On 28.12.2016 at 2:18 PM, Nabroski said:

I few days when WebGL 2.0 become stable, they will move on, - & i really exiting about whats in WebGL 3.0 Specs. :)

Do any of you thinking of the further of web in general ? We see us next year! 

WEBGL 3.0 is on da WAY. YES! (next week on three.js)

https://webkit.org/wp-content/uploads/webgpu-api-proposal.html#examples

https://www.google.com/#q=webgpu+news