MultiSlix

enpu

My first HTML5 game, work in progress.

logo.png

MultiSlix is a HTML5 top-down racing game.

Features
- Retrostyle pixel graphics
- Collision with Box2D physics
- Different game modes
- Dynamic skidmarks
- Web Audio API sound effects
- Original music
- AI cars
- Track editor
- Online stats
- Retina support
- iPad / iPhone support
- Gamepad API support
- iOS Game Center multiplayer

Demo
http://www.multislix.com
Includes few tracks with cpu cars.
(You should run it on Chrome, got some performance issues on other browsers)

Screenshots
trackselect.png
Track selection

gameplay.png
Gameplay with CPU cars

editor.png
Track editor

[email protected]

#multislix

Just ran it on Chrome with no issues apart from getting my ass handed to me by the mob of AI's. Once I was behind, I couldn't catch up. Whilst I couldn't play for long I immediately got a similar feel to the classic 'Generally' game which I'd see as a compliment. Nice, tidy presentation and gameplay with a quick and approachable driving mechanic. Great stuff.

UPDATE!

I have updated the demo at http://www.multislix.com
Including different game modes, new sound effects and more.

Controls
Use DOWN arrow to change game mode and UP arrow to change laps.
Press ESC to return back to track selection.

I'll hope to hear some feedback and let me know if you find any bugs!

Next update will include track editor and new online game mode.

Like a lot your game, It's smooth and a lot of fun!

Just created a new track. I didn't found the way to rotate the objects. I didn't read the help, of course, but I guess most people won't either!

And when in the editor mode it plays an annoying noisy sound. I am using chrome.

PS: playing my track a car got stuck for two laps in a tree. So when I arrived to the finish lap it had to take another couple of laps and the game didn't finish till that happened. Maybe you should set a timer or something.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

Like a lot your game, It's smooth and a lot of fun!

Just created a new track. I didn't found the way to rotate the objects. I didn't read the help, of course, but I guess most people won't either!

And when in the editor mode it plays an annoying noisy sound. I am using chrome.

PS: playing my track a car got stuck for two laps in a tree. So when I arrived to the finish lap it had to take another couple of laps and the game didn't finish till that happened. Maybe you should set a timer or something.

Thanks for the feedback!

I got new help page here http://www.multislix.com/help for the keyboard shortcuts ;)

About the noisy sound, is it playing all the time? can you describe it more?

For the stuck AI cars, i think we got two options: 1. make the ai smarter, so they dont get stuck, 2. make timer, so the race will end after x time when first car finishes.

First option is better, but the second is easier :)

The menu looks good and functional. However I can't play the game on Firefox. After selecting the track I get a black screen and this :

TypeError: ig.soundManager.context is null @ http://www.multislix.com/game.min.js:1082

Thanks, this should be fixed now!

although i recommend Chrome, because Firefox still got pretty poor performance on the game :(

Thanks for the feedback!

I got new help page here http://www.multislix.com/help for the keyboard shortcuts ;)

About the noisy sound, is it playing all the time? can you describe it more?

I recorded it:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1WgMvj4LOof

And yes, it is playing all the time. I guess It could be associated with the car that shows up after logging in but of course, can't tell more!

Hey enpu,

you created a lovely game there. I really like the look and feel of it :)

A few suggestions related to the loading speed:

Your game download is about 3.6mb in size. With a DSL connection, that took me over 30 seconds to load - the loader made 290 requests to the server.

30 seconds doesn't seem like much time, but it IS long when you stare on a loading bar and wait for things to go on :)

Most of the time was used to download two soundfiles with a total size of 2.8mb which made about 24 seconds of the loading time. Do you really have to pre-load this two soundtracks? Maybe its possible to stream them in after all other assets have been loaded.

266 of the 290 requests were made for images. Mostly little country flags. I suggest to merge them into one bigger image file. This would increase your loading speed again.

Hey enpu,

you created a lovely game there. I really like the look and feel of it :)

A few suggestions related to the loading speed:

Your game download is about 3.6mb in size. With a DSL connection, that took me over 30 seconds to load - the loader made 290 requests to the server.

30 seconds doesn't seem like much time, but it IS long when you stare on a loading bar and wait for things to go on :)

Most of the time was used to download two soundfiles with a total size of 2.8mb which made about 24 seconds of the loading time. Do you really have to pre-load this two soundtracks? Maybe its possible to stream them in after all other assets have been loaded.

266 of the 290 requests were made for images. Mostly little country flags. I suggest to merge them into one bigger image file. This would increase your loading speed again.

Hi Paratron!

Thanks for the tips, i did some quick optimization and the game download is now 72 requests,  779 KB.