pyre

Hi,

Infinitris.io - A massively multiplayer online falling block puzzle game, created using the Phaser game engine.

593cddb7e0c02_InfinitrisLandscapePosterPreview325percent.thumb.jpg.4c0dcfbd49de728fc1611febd8d4c70e.jpg

Controls: Arrow keys and spacebar.

Current Features:

• Instant join - only specify your nickname and you're ready to play.
  • Multiplayer. No player limit.
  • Dynamically sized grid with horizontal wrapping.
  • Mistake detection.
  • Sabotage other players by dropping on them.
  • Phase shift into gaps directly below you (hold the down key while your block is being placed).
  • Ingame chat [Enter].
  • Scoreboard.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/infinitris

Twitter: https://twitter.com/infinitris_io

Blog: https://infinitrisblog.wordpress.com/

Please give it a try and let me know what you think!

Pyre

Edited by pyre
1.2 released

• 2 weeks later...

Release 1.1

This time, I have a gif of some of my workmates and I playing Infinitris :-)

1-1_large_when_wrap_kicks_in.gif?w=656

I've written a blog post about my journey from the previous release to now, feel free to have a read: Infinitris Blog - 1.1

1.0 -> 1.1 changes:

• New mistake detection algorithm - the player's block is now killed if they create gaps that can't be filled (Blocks around the player are no longer destroyed when they make a mistake).
  • Added "Phase Shift" mechanic - After placing your block, if there are any spaces in the grid directly below it that can fit the block, it will be shifted downward.
  • Added "Block Stomp" mechanic - Drop your block on another when it is in midair will stop your block from dropping and will force the victim into dropping until they hit the floor.
  • Added Minimap.
  • Added Number of players currently ingame to the landing page.
  • Fixed line clear animation hiding the lines that replaced the cleared ones.

More minor improvements and bugfixes can be seen here.

I'd love some feedback!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the replies, Zinnie and RubbleGames.

This game is so much more than Tetris, but if you play alone you don't see much of that apart from the new mistake detection and phase shifting (which people won't know how to use since it's not mentioned anywhere yet).

I'll be working on a tutorial and a trailer that will make the new mechanics obvious, and hopefully I'll get some player population once Infinitris 1.2 is released.

Preview:

infinitris-assets-testing.png?w=656

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Machine-dev said:

You put a lot of polish into this. It looks and plays great!

I reviewed your blog but you didn't speak too much about the serverside aspects I was curious about.

1. Do all "rooms" run from one machine?
  2. How did you go about tackling the client-server communications?

Thanks Machine-dev :-)

1. Yes - I haven't received a high enough server load to warrant spending the effort hosting sets of rooms on different machines (I'm guessing 50+ players could play concurrently on the one slot I'm using in Azure right now, which is way above the current play rate)

2. Almost everything is computed and kept in sync on both server and client. I use socket.io to send packets back and forth. The only thing that's client-side is movement so that lag is not apparent. The server will send packets for blocks getting placed, new blocks getting spawned, new players joining/leaving etc. Since it all runs in a single thread it's not too hard to ensure the client executes events in the same order as the server did.

3 hours ago, mtmckenna said:

Just gave the game a shot--really cool! Was wondering if you had considered adding in bots?

Thanks mtmckenna.

I have - definitely high on the TODO list right now as it'll make the game more interesting while you're waiting for human players, and will ensure the game is running how it's supposed to be played (not just single player or with 1-2 others).

I was thinking of having say, 5-6 bots in each room that get replaced with humans as they join. What do you think?