Phaser To Desktop Application Beta

jyapayne

Hey everyone! I've been working on a little app for myself that allows exporting any html5 and javascript application to a "native" desktop application. 

It uses node-webkit to create binaries that work on all platforms. One awesome side effect of this is that node-webkit has it's own internal server, so there's no need to have a server installed to test your application. And, by enabling the toolbar, you can debug your apps just like you would in the browser.

If you'd like to test the app and give me some feedback, that would be awesome. I'm hoping this will take down a part of the barrier of setting up a server in order to use phaser.

Anyways, here's the link to my project: https://github.com/jyapayne/Web2Executable

There are links to precompiled binaries on the github page and you can also check out the source code to see how it works. The source is kind of ugly right now and I need to clean it up a lot, but the app works and is functional on all platforms.

Let me know what you think! Cheers!

Python noob here. I installed v3.3.5 plus PySide, ran the command but I get an error:

---------------------------------

File "main.py", line 222
    print setting.value, "does not exist"
                ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Then I noticed you've got a Windows exe download. So I gave that a try on my WIP game.

Within a few minutes my game was running as a windows desktop app. Performance was great, sounds were playing as expected.

Awesome stuff.

couldn't get the linux executables to work.. first missing several libraries then throwing errors.. on kubunut 13.04 so i downloaded the zip file of the repo and started main.py - it works!  (except that the window icon throws a "file does not exist" error - no matter what)

thx very much !

the only negative thing to say here was already said (my game is 80MB big after compiling) 

Python noob here. I installed v3.3.5 plus PySide, ran the command but I get an error:

File "main.py", line 222

print setting.value, "does not exist"

^

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Then I noticed you've got a Windows exe download. So I gave that a try on my WIP game.

Within a few minutes my game was running as a windows desktop app. Performance was great, sounds were playing as expected.

Awesome stuff.

It currently does not support python 3.3, only python 2.X. I will get on supporting that :) Thanks for the awesome feedback!

couldn't get the linux executables to work.. first missing several libraries then throwing errors.. on kubunut 13.04 so i downloaded the zip file of the repo and started main.py - it works!  (except that the window icon throws a "file does not exist" error - no matter what)

thx very much !

the only negative thing to say here was already said (my game is 80MB big after compiling) 

Hmmm, that's strange. Can you pm me the copy paste of the errors for the linux exes?

Those "file does not exist" errors are just warnings. I put them there for debugging. I will update the code to only print them if debug mode is on :) Thanks so much for the feedback!

@Heppell08: Awesome! Let me know if you have any issues or feedback once you use it! :)

@noxoc: Thanks! :)

So i got it to output a project, how do i get it to output the same project again with different attributes EG: width/height/cache etc? Just i'm trying it run it through again a second time with different options selected?

Other than that its really nice. Also helps that i've been using Node Web-Kit for a while too so thanks!!

:D

Edit: Can't output anything else, even a different project. Any idea? Havent got any errors onscreen, just export is not allowing any clicks.

So i got it to output a project, how do i get it to output the same project again with different attributes EG: width/height/cache etc? Just i'm trying it run it through again a second time with different options selected?

Other than that its really nice. Also helps that i've been using Node Web-Kit for a while too so thanks!!

:D

To output it again with different options, just select the options you want and then click export and the output folder will be overwritten with a new binary. If you want multiple binaries, you'll have to copy the folder.

And you're welcome! Thanks for using it :)

Yep, that's a bug. Thanks for pointing it out. As a work around, you have to close the app and then open the project again. I'll have that fixed as soon as possible :)

Edit:

Oops, nevermind, I couldn't reproduce your error. Can you walk me through exactly what you did? If you opened the project again, you'd have to reselect the export options. That's the only reason I can think that the export button would be greyed out. You should also make sure the starred options are set as well.

In order to export you need to set all of these:

Project Directory

Output Directory

Main file

App Name

And at least one of the export options.

What i did was:

Created my first project and was given the output via the app.

Then i loaded the game in the exe and noticed i wanted to change the width, height and cache.

Closed the exe, opened the app and made ther appropriate changes.

The output was automatically recognised from my previous output.

Export button would not allow me to click.

But:

When i deleted the old app and folder and made it create an output2 it would export but then wouldnt allow me to export again in the same output folder. I had to delete then export in a new folder.

Now i can't replicate it either :s

Working like a charm now lol.

I'm not sure if i did something wrong with it but i'm not seeing any issues with it like i did earlier. I did restart my machine earlier because i removed the toolbar and taskbar so couldn't end my game. I'm beginning to think it was something on my end and not your application.

Very nice bit of work into it though, something i was looking for for quite some time. Just need to get them file sizes down and it would be better. Whether thats in your power to do so anyway.

Sorry for the trouble and great work!!

• 2 months later...